Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to offer..80 Brat

Ok there has been this 80 Brat sitting in this guys driveway down the street from me for who knows how long (at least several years). He had it for sale once for $800 and I had talked to him about it, but didn't have the cash at the time. Well I have *some* spare cash now and am sick of looking at this poor Brat sitting on jack stands everyday on my to and from work. I haven't talked to him recently but am thinking of running down to his place with some cash in hand and see if I can't take it away. Here is a really shotty pic I took with my cell phone way back when....:

80brat.jpg

It is almost completely rust free, very minor surface rust in a couple places, no dents that I saw, interior is torn apart no carpet etc...but still has the seats in it. Has a topper that's been on it since it was new. Couple sets of wheels, one set of beautiful white spokes that look brand new. He said it ran, just not good and might have brake problems (which is why I think it's on Jack Stands now with the front wheels off.

Now the bad part which is kinda scaring me off from it....someone chopped the back window and below the back window to open the cab into the bed. They did a good job but not sure if that's something I want to deal with. Bed area has been converted to kinda of a sleeping area. Jerry DeMoss has seen this car a few times and can testify to it's shape which I think I described pretty well.

So what do you guys think $500? Is that too low/high? Should I just forget about it because of the chopping? Not sure exactly what I would do with it but has been killing me for over a year since we moved into this house. Any suggestions, etc would be much appreciated...

I would go over there again and look closely at where they cut it.There have been a couple gen 1 brats at pns lately and if there is enough metal left on there to weld on to it I think it's worth it saving and just cutting the rear area off of another brat.

I really thought it looked nice and I would probly settle between 350-400 if he could work with you.I would just emphasise on the fact that you will have to do alot of work to get the brakes right and also to weld in a new piece in the back.See if that works.I will help push it back over to your house if you get it.Also I have a set of gen1 alloys that I will give you if you get that one.

I'll have to go look again, but am pretty damn sure they took the back window out then cut straight down from the edge of the window, which would leave a good area to weld a different piece in...though I am no body guy so who knows. Won't go back down and talk to him till I have the cash in my hands...we all know cash talks. So is that the tops you would go Jerry? Since you've actually seen the car a tad your opinon helps alot. This is of course not really spare cash (there is no such thing in a one income family with 2 kids) but I'm thinking I need to try to get it or just completely put it out of mind which is going to real hard since I see it everyday.

Start low. Perhaps go down there with 500 in your pocket and offer him half that. Tell him it'll go to a good home and you live nearby so he'll get to see it done up and running again. The guy must be sick of seeing it abandoned in his driveway by now. It won't hurt to start low, he won't punch you for it and it gives you a good point to bargain from.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the offers guys, still may take you up on that Tom...Just haven't even seen the owner yet to talk to him. Somehow all my *extra* money disappeared too, so waiting till I get a bit more saved and I'll go flash some cash at him. The more I look at this Brat the more it needs to be in my driveway...

Edit: Haha money didn't disappear, wife just stuffed it away into the savings so we would have it for that Brat and not just blow it...man I have a good woman. (And she knows me, cause I would blow it..good thing she handles all the money I just make it)