Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD on 83' GL10

So yeah, long stroy short, I've managed to inherit Trashwagon 5 mkII from the infamous milesfox, and latley we've been having a spell of bad weather so I've been using the 4WD more often. Now, I know when you engage it you should be moving in a stright line and have the clutch engaged...

But what about disengaging it? Clutch in or out? It seems that no matter what I do I have to slam the 4WD stalk down and the whole car shudders when I do so.

that just doesn't seem healthy...

Use the clutch (or put it in neutral). The shifter is hard to disengage because of the tranny binding up due to a lack of slippage (on paved surfaces). Putting the car in reverse for a a few yards typically will relieve most of the tension.

BTW, if your car is binding up when you used 4WD, you probably didn't need to use it.

Different sizes/wear on the tires will do this easily. Different brands of tires on any of the four will almost always do it due to differences in marked sizes versus actual manfactured diameter. Four brand new tires will almost certainly fix your problems. Even on hard surfaces if you are traveling is a straight line (with correct tires) you should be able to go in and out of 4WD with ease without touching the clutch at all.

GD

ive noticed on my 87 wagon that if i disengage right where i would shift it works the best (between 1st and second seems to work the best) push in the clutch dissengage 4wd switch gears release clutch. (usualy have to do it because the wife puts it in 4 and can't get it out.:)