Ultimate Subaru Message Board

finally did the upper engine cleaner treatment and ...

i noticed a difference shortly after she was done spewing smoking..

alot better acceleration and i'm hoping for better gas mileage.

what experience did all those that did a upper engine cleaning have?

(i know weird question)

BTW-though i didn't use seafoam,i did use GMs upper engine cleaner.

*edit*-not sure why i put this here,i suppose i could of put it in off topic..(but i am talking about my 94 leg)

It was a lot better after I did the same thing. Milage also improved, but the new O2 sensor I put in a month later really made that better.

When I took the top end of my 92 apart during refurb (see the footmagnet thread), there was very little carbon built up on the heads. More carbon was on the pistons than the head, actually. this was a good 50,000 miles after the top end cleaning. I used Seafoam for mine.

as far as being on topic, you are talking about work done on a Subaru, and this is a fairly recurring discussion on this board. I would say that this is very much on-topic.

well as an update to the effects that the cleaning had of the MPG of the leg..

last time i checked i got about 22mpg,this last fill up i figured out that i got about 25mpg(1/4 is on highway)

not sure if i should consider it cause this recent(today) fill up was with highway miles and last one(last week) was without...

:confused:

this is where i hooked up the hose,then into the can of cleaner.gave the engine some throttle which sucked in the cleaner.

hook_up_for_engine_cleaner_1.JPG(inside the red circle)

Man i saw ur pics u sure dont like rust proofing,lol. Thats the fuel line correct? Duh. But u just use seafoam and turn on the engine? How does the engine run off sea foams ? Or do u spray it in the tank?

Man i saw ur pics u sure dont like rust proofing,lol. Thats the fuel line correct? Duh. But u just use seafoam and turn on the engine? How does the engine run off sea foams ? Or do u spray it in the tank?

that was a vac line(can't remember where it comes from).as far as how the engine ran,no real change.when my mechanic gave the engine gas(manually from T-body),the vac from the T body pull the cleaner into the intake manifold and soaked the top side of the valves,etc

we let it sit for about 30mins and started it back up(after rehooking up that vac line) ran the engine up to about 2000-2500rpms for about ten mins and let her smoke.did that process acouple of times until she barely smoked.(the exhaust has a interesting smell from the carbon an cleaner being burnt off)

Well atleast ur car didnt have alot off rust around the fenders like mine.

before i bought it,both front fenders were rusted out at that spot behind the tire and infront of the doors..friend cut an welded new parts along with paint..now bottom edge of rear hatch,driversside rear wheel well edge,and about a 3-4" spot on pass side front door..

i knew i should of taken care of it before got worse.:banghead: