Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing belt marks, teeth, part number Q '00OBW

Howdy, a few questions about timing belt replacement '00OBW 2.5 sohc auto trans. The timing belt that was on it is part# 13028AA21A

The new timing belt I received is part# 13028AA21B (I hope that's the right part, I also have a 13028AA102 but I'm pretty sure that's for my '96 2.2)

Question 1: Are the yellow lines on the timing belt useful for aligning anything? On this new timing belt 13028AA21B there is a striped yellow line and two solid yellow lines, which I figured were probably the crank sprocket and respective cam sprocket alignment marks, but one is like 44 teeth and the other is like 48 teeth. The 44 teeth matches up with one of the manual's measurements, but the 48 teeth I don't know what that's for as the other manual measurement is 40.5 teeth.

Question 2: Any tips on getting the new timing belt aligned properly? I know this job is neither horseshoes nor hand grenades, so close isn't good enough. Maybe if I did a search there's comments on how to make sure, maybe I'll reread that EndWrench article.

I cut up the old belt so I don't really have it to use as a reference.

Thanks! Louis :burnout:

The Gates t-belt for my 90 2.2 had alignment marks on it that could be used. I chose to use them as a quick visual, and confirmed using the cam and crank marks. I didn't find it too difficult, other than deciding I either needed a 3rd arm or install the belt with the tensioner pulley off... I imagine that if I looked up and read directions here first it would have gone smoother.:rolleyes: