Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to find a sube w/ blown headgasket

I have this crazy idea to find a 97 -99 legacy sedan gt with a blown headgasket, buy it for cheap, and fix it myself to save money and have a fun project. Has anybody else had the same experience?

I also have no idea where I would have the best chances of finding one. Any ideas there? Thanks,

-- Jeff

I talked to a friend of mine a couple of days ago and he had been to some sealed bid auctions at local dealerships. He had seen a 97 Outback Limited with 105k miles and a blown head gasket. He said it ran perfectly and was in mint condition except the head gaskets and a siezed AC compressor. He didn't bid on it so he didn't know what it went for but I bet it was super cheap(<$1000), as he bought a mint '00 chevy malibu with 50k miles for $3200. Here in NY I think you need some sort of dealer license to go to those auctions.

Unfortunately he didn't call me and ask me if I wanted him to bid on that '97. I could have done the head gaskets and had a sweet car.

I think a lot of these Phase I cars are going to auction with blown head gaskets.