Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick question... changing the oil pump with AC installed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Syonyk

Syonyk

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Ames, IA

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:33 PM

I know how to do front end engine work without AC... pull the radiator.

If I have AC, how do I do the same? Does the AC condenser pull away from the front like the radiator does (without opening the AC system)? Or should I just leave it there & work from the top?

Also, how do I remove the belt from the AC compressor loop? I think I see the idler pulley I can loosen, but I want to make sure before I go disconnecting things.

-=Russ=-

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,889 posts
  • WV

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:41 PM

what do you mean by "front end work"? oil pump, timing belts, cam seals, crank seal, water pump...none of them require pulling the radiator or the condensor. i've never pulled either for that type of work on any subaru...EJ22, EJ25, EA82, EA82T, EA82, ER27.

if you do need to remove it, best not to remove the condensor at all unless you have to, the lines are not very flexible or forgiving.

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

I always pull the radiator cause I have bid hands and it's cramped in there if I don't, and I don't like bashing the fins in with wrenches and such. Don't touch the condensor - there is no need. You do all the work from the top or the bottom.

GD

#4 azsubaru

azsubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 452 posts
  • Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

how do I remove the belt from the AC compressor loop? I think I see the idler pulley I can loosen, but I want to make sure before I go disconnecting things.-=Russ=-

Yep, that's it. Just loosen the idler. It's easier if you move the alternator back out of the way first.

#5 Syonyk

Syonyk

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Ames, IA

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

what do you mean by "front end work"? oil pump, timing belts, cam seals, crank seal, water pump...none of them require pulling the radiator or the condensor. i've never pulled either for that type of work on any subaru...EJ22, EJ25, EA82, EA82T, EA82, ER27.

if you do need to remove it, best not to remove the condensor at all unless you have to, the lines are not very flexible or forgiving.

Oh. I pulled the radiator when I changed the timing belts on my old 'DL. I have big hands.

I suppose I'll figure out how to do it without pulling the radiator, then.

-=Russ=-

#6 subieluvr

subieluvr

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Collins

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

Hey Russ, I am on vacation this week and only 30 miles away. I have done this job a couple of times and I could help. email me at j10mmc@yahoo.com Thanks Josh

#7 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:25 PM

I pull the radiator as I like the room (which is precious little on an EA82T wagon). Condensor stays put. Pain to get at the compressor tensioner bolt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users