Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Switch rear drum brakes to disc? ['96 Legacy Brighton]

Hello all, have a '96 Legacy Brighton here with front disc and rear drum brakes. Does anyone know if any other Legacy's of that year had disc brakes on the rear, and if yes, if I'd be able to switch over my Brighton's rear drum brakes to disc brakes. Would it be worth making this change; I only sometimes drive it like I stole it.

It is a fair amount of work and expense so it would depent how long you are going to keep the car. I considered this on my 99 Forester but decided to stay with a new set of drums and shoes instead. I assume you would need a proportionng valve to balance front and rear or perhaps a new master cyl if it's built in.

I know it has been done a number of times and info should be available. I figured if I had gotten 100,000 miles out of the stock rears that an easy to comeby set of drums (about $20 apiece if I recall) and and a couple sets of inexpensive shoes would probalby go as long as the engine.

A bit less than 30,000 miles later this seems to be working out OK.