Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fusible llink cross reference.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PhizzleSubarizzle

PhizzleSubarizzle

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Bremerton

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:42 PM

Wazzup again all,

I recently went to the parts store to get a replacement fusible link for my 87 GL. When I got there I found the fusible links they have on the shelf are rated by wire size, and the ones in my car are listed by ampres. Does anyone know a cross reference for wire size to fusible link ampres?

Mush appreesh
Phill

#2 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,242 posts
  • KY

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

Subaru fusible links are also color-coded. For example red = a certain diameter. And wire diameter size equates to a certain amperage. Offhand I don't recall the sizes but I think they can be found in the FSM. You could always just measure the wire diameter of the link you are replacing and just replace it with the same diiameter link.

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:44 PM

The black link is 1.25mm(2), allowed current is 21 amps. The red link is .85mm(2) and rated for 16 amps. The green link is .5mm(2), rated for 12 amps.

#4 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:45 AM

The black link is 1.25mm(2), allowed current is 21 amps. The red link is .85mm(2) and rated for 16 amps. The green link is .5mm(2), rated for 12 amps.

are those color ratings universal?????

and, at that amperage, why use a fusible link and not an ATO fuse??!!?!?

#5 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:25 AM

Those are some of the colors that Subaru uses for their wiring at least. I can't say that sure about the other manufacturers. Also, those ratings are for the regular wire colors. I think the links follow close to those specs. The specs are for safe operation and so I think the actual burn out current is higher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users