Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fusible llink cross reference.

Wazzup again all,

I recently went to the parts store to get a replacement fusible link for my 87 GL. When I got there I found the fusible links they have on the shelf are rated by wire size, and the ones in my car are listed by ampres. Does anyone know a cross reference for wire size to fusible link ampres?

Mush appreesh

Phill

Subaru fusible links are also color-coded. For example red = a certain diameter. And wire diameter size equates to a certain amperage. Offhand I don't recall the sizes but I think they can be found in the FSM. You could always just measure the wire diameter of the link you are replacing and just replace it with the same diiameter link.

The black link is 1.25mm(2), allowed current is 21 amps. The red link is .85mm(2) and rated for 16 amps. The green link is .5mm(2), rated for 12 amps.

are those color ratings universal?????

and, at that amperage, why use a fusible link and not an ATO fuse??!!?!?

Those are some of the colors that Subaru uses for their wiring at least. I can't say that sure about the other manufacturers. Also, those ratings are for the regular wire colors. I think the links follow close to those specs. The specs are for safe operation and so I think the actual burn out current is higher.