Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Impreza Sport Clutch

Guest MinGinSube

ADVISE PLEASE!!

I have read a couple of postings on "Clutch" issues, but I am not sure if mine fits in the same category.

First, I have a 99 Impreza Outback Sport. It has a little over 29,000 miles on it. I just brought it in to the dealer today because I noticed acceleration problems. They called me and told me that I need a new clutch and it will cost $900.00.

I have driven manuals for many years and some over 100,000+ miles and have never had to get a clutch replaced.

Is this the same issue with the postings "What's the store . . ."? or is it only specific to 2.5L engines?

Is $900.00 way over priced? Do I have any valid argument that the clutch should not need replacement with a car under 30,000 miles?

Thanks for any response!!

Guest mattocs

$300 for the clutch...plus labor...thats what I just paid...so like about $600...not from the dealer.

AutoZon has the clutch for my car for about $220 I think...I found it on ebay for under $150.

Clutchs are expensive...take it someplace other than the dealer.

Also, if it only has 29,000 miles on it...someone must have been beating the hell out of it. Mine didn't start to slip until 190,000 miles...then I beat it till it didn't go anymore.