Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Gen 4WD tank removal?

No you will have to drop the rear end to get the gas tank out. It is really easy though. I had to do it when I changed my tank in my 78 Brat about 2 months ago.

What bolts do you remove, I've heard to pull the mustache bar, what else? Thanks for the help... I didn't think I was gonna ever get a reply

Yeah those are the 2 bolts you need to remove. And of course the ones where the tank is mounted to the body. Be careful with those bolts. They seem to get rusted pretty good and have the tendency to snap off easily. After you take the bolts out the tank comes out pretty easy. You may have to push down on the rear diff a little when pulling out the tank but it is no problem. You will also have 2 breather lines on both sides of the tank that have to be unhooked. Don't forget the filler neck and the regular fuel lines. Good luck!

Well, I got the tank out and it was easy as pie, I dropped the rear using an impact and got showered with a combination of falling mud, rust and 27 years of crap. Suprisingly all the bolts came out no problem, and most of the lines had already been unhooked. The whole project took less than 15 minutes. The tank is in a lot better shape than I expected too, I see no rust, just caked on junk and you can hear the same inside, it all seems pretty loose. There is the issue of some sort of goo and a brass fitting on the bottom of the tank near the sending unit/filler neck. I assume there was once a drain plug there? I suppose I need to remove it and either have something welded over the hole or weld on a nut so I can have a drain plug.

All in all it easy and the car sure drives a lot better with all that dead weight gone!

Now I've got to continue with the other weekend project, doing timing belts and cam swap on a fellow board memebers GL10 wagon.

got the sending unit off now too, managed to scape off the junk and get it moving freely... and the float is still in good shape too. Question though.... does the sending unit need a ground strap or some sort? I've only changed the tanks on ol mopars and I know they had the electrical line and then a ground strap.... same here?