Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AT oil temp light flashing again

I've had a long period free from occasional AT oil temp light flashing, but regrettably it has started again in my 99 Legacy Wagon, on the eve of my daughter's driving test!

This time it starts after the car has been running a mile and stays flashing. When car is hot and stopped and restarted the light is again off for a mile, then starts and stays flashing again, so it may not be oil-temperature related?

Any offers from your experience please?

Gil

96 and 99 Legacies

How does it beahve in very tight turns. You really need to get this thing looked at asap. If its a failed AWD system, your daughter may find the car impossible to park since it wont respond properly. The failed AWD unit is the most common cause, but it can be any of the other 5 solenoids in there.

nipper

Well nipper thanks for your advice - I always read your contributions with great interest.

My daughter passed the test despite the flashing light from the AT oil temp. I can't detect anything wrong with the car on full lock. I am going to disconnect the battery and reconnect it and also try the car in FWD only.

Then it will be to the garage on Tuesday!

Thanks

Gil

I put a fuse in the FWD socket and the AT oil light stopped flashing for a long time - about 100 miles. Then it started flashing again, so I took the fuse out to activate AWD again. The light has not come on since. I will try it again today.

?

This is something that needs to be looked at by a shop. You can be slowly destroying your AWD and not know it. The light flashes for a failure during the previous operation. I had this and it was my Duty C and eventually it failed and took my awd unit with it.

nipper

• 2 weeks later...

I had the tranny flushed and the elecrical contacts cleaned and the AT Oil Temp light stopped flashing for a week. Now it has returned, even when the car is cold.

The garage have ordered and retained a 'temp sensor' in case that happened.

Should I have it fitted now?

Gil

This is too serious a light to second guess. If the read the codes and it came back as a temp sensor, yes. The trany codes are clear cut unlike the ECU codes whic can take a little detective work.

How did they figure out it was the temp sensor, i dont se an explination on that.

nipper

The light now flashes occasionally about 15 seconds after startup. If I then stop the car and restart it does not flash at all.

?

The light operates to tell you there was a failure on the previous drive. If you start the car then shut it off, then re start it, since the car didnt move, there would be no failure.

nipper

I've had the AT light flashing for a long time in my 99 Impreza Outback Sport.

After going through the code readout, the blinking lights said I had a "defective temp sensor". So, I ordered a new temp sensor, dropped the transmission pan and replaced it. It's pretty easy, just plug and play into its little harness.

After about a week, the AT light started flashing again, with no apparent reason. Sometimes it starts flashing after 3 minutes, a couple of months ago I drove from Texas to Florida and back and it never blinked once. It blinked yesterday.

I put the AT light in diagnostic code output again, and now its spitting out code " 1long, 1long, 7 short" which means code 27.

What is code 27 for again?

Also, as a follow up. My AT light never starts blinking at STARTUP. It always starts blinking after the car has been in motion for a period of time.

thats telling you that something needs to be addressed asap. NEVER ignore a blinking light.

nipper

• 6 months later...
Thanks for the codes again.

So, even after I replaced the temp sensor, I still get the code 27 which says defective temp sensor...

Does that mean its just a short in the wiring harness somewhere?

Yes, code 27 is saying that there is a problem with the wiring going to the sensor. It could be a short but more likely it is due to a bad connection somewhere.