Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions on 5-lug adapter?

So, has anyone seen one of the BYB's 5-lug adapters? Any opinions on how good or bad an idea it is? I remember they used to have them for old VW's, to change it from a 5 to a 4.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/bybsubi/index.html - in Accessories

Oh, I know all about the 5 and 6-lug conversions talked about on the board. I don't need a refresher course on those.;)

A word of caution, Subarus have one of the largest off-set to their wheels of any manufacturer. Any adapter that bolts on to the exsisting hubs is only going to increase that off-set to keep the wheel within the wheel wheel. I know BYB make great products, so I'm not saying anything about them. I just want you to know that if you add adapters to your car, the stock wheels will stick out farther.

Most, if not all, adapter plates are made from aluminum. Not the best choice in my opinion.

To answer the question as to how it's done. The plate is thick enough so that when you bolt it on to your lugs, it takes the depth of the lug studs. Now, there are the other stud pattern's lugs in it all ready, so you just bolt your new wheels on to it, like you would a regular wheel stud pattern.

Biggest problem with using adapter plates is, they tend to fatigue after a while. Especially if your doing things like Rally Racing. They really don't stand up to the side-load forces aplied to them in that aspect.

Ifin they were made of steel, it would be better.

But, you really don't want to add aditional un-sprung weight to your ride. The less weight under the springs the better it is for handling, and ride comfort.

Been alot of studies done on this. I'm not just spouting words here.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by TomRhere

Most, if not all, adapter plates are made from aluminum. Not the best choice in my opinion.

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

if they were made outa steel, i'd consider them for the hatch, but deffinitely not aluminum

Ok, I'm confused...Aluminum is perfectly fine for suspension parts, wheels, and aircraft but not for wheel spacers/adapters!? :confused: Please explain your reasoning as you've completely lost me...

BTW, I just emailed them for info on pricing, shipping, ETA, adapter thickness, etc.