Ultimate Subaru Message Board

installed my cb last night...for WCSS8...

scoobyclimbs

Talk about last minute mods....Since, I've been venturing into logger territory....probably a good thing....hmmm. kenworth vs subaru ...ya know the outcome of that one....:eek:

I went cheap as fundage was low ...just bought a house...I purchased a Uniden 520XL cb 7watts. It's small and compact...I tested it out and works great...This trucker with a Connex was crankin' !!!

My investment was $114 total for the cb/ant./swr meter.

It should be adequate for what I do. I got a SWR meter and tuned the antenna(cobra 21" [cell phone style] mag. base. I ran my coax thru the top corner of the hatch crack and thru a small opening above the left rear tail light assembly grommet. turned out very stealthy.

I thought about a 10M VHF radio, but then I need a license and more dough....someday..

here's a pic of my install. :banana:

cb.jpg

I've tried the CB route, but after busting several antenna's (thick brush and tree limbs, etc), I've come to the conclusion that the portable citizen band radios are more practical. Someone in the groups with a CB is good for emergency's, but the small handhelds are better for trail use as you can use them even if your battery dies, and out of the car while extracting vehicles, etc. Just my experience. Plus they are dirt cheap. Fry's had Motorola's (cheap, small ones) for $9.99 a pair...

GD

nice.. I got a cb ready to go in but I dont have an antenna yet. As far as having a CB goes, if you're ever on logging roads its a must. My uncle is a log truck driver, and I can tell you from personal experiance log trucks dont slow down going around blind corners, they use CBs to communicate with other truckers so there are no collisions but if there is a little blazer sitting on the other side of the corner bombing around it going 40mph and a truck going 40mph the otherway... who has the bigger bumper? who is gonna go into the ditch? not the kenworth hauling 50tons.

CBs are good to have. The long wire/whip antennas are pretty durable and hard to bust if you have a good mount. Uncle has a 14' antenna like that on his toy, and that thing has been to hell and back many many times and it got bent up but never broken or busted.

Where are you gonna install the unit? I am getting one as well. I always think these would be good for group meets,group drives,TSD rallies,etc. I always hear people having them so I finally got one. My only problem is where to install it! I was debating on which car to put all the equipment in and I think I am going toward the GL at the moment since it will be the winter ride until its ready for ful time.

Anyway I will post some pics of it and maybe start another thread on where to install radio equipment. I was a trunkable scanner as well for entertainment value.

Also is there a subtle CB antenna? Mentions above was a cobra cellphone styled antenna, would you have a link to that product? The radio I have I believe is 12 Watts what is a good size antenna for that wattage?

nice.. I got a cb ready to go in but I dont have an antenna yet. As far as having a CB goes, if you're ever on logging roads its a must. My uncle is a log truck driver, and I can tell you from personal experiance log trucks dont slow down going around blind corners, they use CBs to communicate with other truckers so there are no collisions but if there is a little blazer sitting on the other side of the corner bombing around it going 40mph and a truck going 40mph the otherway... who has the bigger bumper? who is gonna go into the ditch? not the kenworth hauling 50tons.

CBs are good to have. The long wire/whip antennas are pretty durable and hard to bust if you have a good mount. Uncle has a 14' antenna like that on his toy, and that thing has been to hell and back many many times and it got bent up but never broken or busted.

Also is there a subtle CB antenna? Mentions above was a cobra cellphone styled antenna, would you have a link to that product? The radio I have I believe is 12 Watts what is a good size antenna for that wattage?

you could try this antenna..

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103576

not sure about the wattage thing though..

here's pics of my antenna. a Cobra mag. with cell style ant. I can still open my hatch...too.. It's nice as it's only like 21" and brushing is not a factor..it stayed in place during a night run which I could hardly see thru w/ 100w overheads..that's thick stuff...:banana:

As far as getting power I used the batt. hot circut of the 'trailer 'fuse on my outback by cutting a fork type connector on one end and sliding it in the socket.

cbant.jpg

cbant1.jpg