Ultimate Subaru Message Board

radiator from EJ into XT?

joostvdw

hi,

is there any new gen radiator (legacy, impreza, whatever) that fits in the XT? because my old radiator is about to die and any original replacement are non-existent, so I'm searching for a rad somewhere else

the most important thing is the bottom pins/holes to line up, and to fit between the rad support.

No direct fits. The new-gen radiators are taller, IIRC. Check out this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61926&page=3&highlight=radiator+express ...especially mikeshoup's posts. I just placed an order with Radiator Express for an XT 2-row core, but have not received the radiator yet, nor confirmation that it has shipped. And, expressing my personal opinion, stay with a copper core (not aluminum) and all-metal construction (as opposed to clamp on plastic tanks).

He's in holland tho....

You might just have your radiator rebuilt - it's not real expensive. About $60 around here, while a new one runs about $120

GD

yeah that's the main problem, sure, you can get most parts in the US, but in europe (and holland especially) it's a real pain to get even a dizzy cap :rolleyes:

anyway, rad rebuilt? never heard of it, but, I'm going to check that out tomorrow. guess that's my only options, if it turns out to be nothing I'm going to try some random radiators, like maybe a VW of some kind, a bmw perhaps? :-p

He's in holland tho....
OOPS! My bad assumption.

Rebuilding is an option (they take the side tanks off, replace the center core, and put the tanks back on), but if his tanks are plastic I am not sure how many places will do this. Last time I checked locally (several years ago) I was told that the metal crimps were around US$80 and very few places had a machine to do the crimping.

OOPS! My bad assumption.

Rebuilding is an option (they take the side tanks off, replace the center core, and put the tanks back on), but if his tanks are plastic I am not sure how many places will do this. Last time I checked locally (several years ago) I was told that the metal crimps were around US$80 and very few places had a machine to do the crimping.

the sidetanks are metal, don't know if they're alloy or just steel, but a magnet will tell

can (and should) I make it a 2-row if it isn't already? or how should I check whether or not it's a 2-row?

the sidetanks are metal, don't know if they're alloy or just steel, but a magnet will tell

can (and should) I make it a 2-row if it isn't already? or how should I check whether or not it's a 2-row?

The metal sidetanks will be brass. The brass sidetanks can be de-soldered from the old core and re-soldered to the new copper core. If you can get a 2-row, I think that you should do so, as it will give you more safety margin in the cooling system. The single row is relatively thin through the finned area (approx 2.5CM), while the 2-row is closer to 4CM thickness. I forgot to mention that the core dimensions are the same as the "L"-series (Leone) sedan and wagon, so you don't specifically need an XT core. The differences between the XT and other EA82-engined vehicles is the upper and lower mounting points, and somewhat the hose outlet shape (not diameter).