Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dead Loyale

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jonah

Jonah

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Missoula

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:30 PM

My 91 subaru Loyale busted up on me. I went offroading :-\ and got stuck facing uphill on a steep slope. I had to gun the engine pretty high before dropping the clutch to prevent slipping down the hill backwards. Smoke started pouring out of the underneath of the car about in the middle, it was a whiteish greyish smoke. I think it was my tranny but am not sure. I can drive the car forward at about five to ten miles an hour if i rev it to about 4k rpms before letting out the clutch it will move. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could of broken and how I could be able to fix this?

Oh btw. Does anyone know any good Subaru repair shops in Missoula, MT?

Thanks for your help!

#2 Roundeye

Roundeye

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

Did it smell really nasty, like hot brakes? Sounds like you smoked a clutch.

#3 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

Did it smell really nasty, like hot brakes? Sounds like you smoked a clutch.

i was about to say that...specially were he has to hi-rev the engine to move the car...and slowly at that.

#4 Carmen

Carmen

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • san pedro sula, Honduras

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

you shoulda know our roads :eek: something similar did hapen to our loyale, it was just the positive ventilation valvle (PCV) on the intake manifull.. it happens becuase the car position and the bad valvle

#5 subieluvr

subieluvr

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Collins

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

sounds a lot like the clutch...just smoked mine on my 92 Loyale in a tug o war with an 87 GL. I don't care it was fun!!! :grin:

#6 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:48 PM

It was just the positive ventilation valvle (PCV) on the intake manifold

Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

I'm with the clutch croud as well, check for fluid levels in both the engine and the tranny, and if they are within the lines and you are not still making smoke, i wouldn't worry too much

#7 Jonah

Jonah

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Missoula

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

Alright guys, thanks for all the help. How would I be able to check the quality of the clutch?

#8 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  • KY

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

Put the transmission in 3ed or 4th gears. Depress the brake pedal and release the clutch. Clutch is good if the engine stalls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users