Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru engine flat 4 or 6 into a Suzuki Samurai

Jaime

One of my vehicles is a Suzuki Samurai. The engine is going to need replacement soon. Since I am a Subaru fan, I was thinking about a 4 or 6 cyl in the Suzuki. Perhaps a 4 will be fine. Anybody tried it ???

I am really interested.

jaime:)

One of my vehicles is a Suzuki Samurai. The engine is going to need replacement soon. Since I am a Subaru fan, I was thinking about a 4 or 6 cyl in the Suzuki. Perhaps a 4 will be fine. Anybody tried it ???

I am really interested.

jaime:)

I have a Samurai also and thought about this at one time. I know you'd have trouble trying to fit an opposing cyl. engine between the frame rails. I thought about an EA81 or EA82, took a few measurements and abandoned the idea. The valve covers would stick through the fender wells.

what about in the back???????

i really dont know the layout of the 'zuk that well, but i know the vehicle abstractly, and from the outside, very VERY well... but would it be possible to cram it over the rear axle?

also, you might consider an older, OHV ea-81 engine because of the shorter height... would that fit where the OHC motors wouldnt?

just a couple thoughts. i like that idea :- )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Realise this is a very old post.... but anyone done this yet? Tempted to give it a go - measured up an ea81 quickly and looks like it will just fit - my samy has a body lift so the engine could sit over the chassis rails... Would have to tilt the engine up to do the valve clearances tho!

Stick a ER27 in the back facing backwards, flip the axles to reverse drive... Would be fun.

They already lack weight in the front for hill climbs - would be hopeless off road like this.... unless you added some ballast up front...

• 2 years later...