Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Subaru engine flat 4 or 6 into a Suzuki Samurai

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jaime

Jaime

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Redondo Beach

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:32 AM

One of my vehicles is a Suzuki Samurai. The engine is going to need replacement soon. Since I am a Subaru fan, I was thinking about a 4 or 6 cyl in the Suzuki. Perhaps a 4 will be fine. Anybody tried it ???

I am really interested.

jaime:)

#2 Mudboat

Mudboat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • New Orleans

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:53 AM

One of my vehicles is a Suzuki Samurai. The engine is going to need replacement soon. Since I am a Subaru fan, I was thinking about a 4 or 6 cyl in the Suzuki. Perhaps a 4 will be fine. Anybody tried it ???

I am really interested.

jaime:)

I have a Samurai also and thought about this at one time. I know you'd have trouble trying to fit an opposing cyl. engine between the frame rails. I thought about an EA81 or EA82, took a few measurements and abandoned the idea. The valve covers would stick through the fender wells.

#3 Special Fred

Special Fred

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Petersburg

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:35 AM

I'll bet a Justy engine could work.;)

Not sure if that would be an upgrade though.:-\

#4 mellow65

mellow65

Subaru, my drug of choice

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:56 PM

just go VW diesel, thats one of the more popular swaps for the Samurai

#5 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:54 AM

what about in the back???????

i really dont know the layout of the 'zuk that well, but i know the vehicle abstractly, and from the outside, very VERY well... but would it be possible to cram it over the rear axle?

also, you might consider an older, OHV ea-81 engine because of the shorter height... would that fit where the OHC motors wouldnt?

just a couple thoughts. i like that idea :- )

#6 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:46 AM

6 baby yeah!

#7 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:12 AM

Realise this is a very old post.... but anyone done this yet? Tempted to give it a go - measured up an ea81 quickly and looks like it will just fit - my samy has a body lift so the engine could sit over the chassis rails... Would have to tilt the engine up to do the valve clearances tho!

#8 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:15 AM

Stick a ER27 in the back facing backwards, flip the axles to reverse drive... Would be fun.

#9 Ross

Ross

Can't be bothered

• Members
  • 1,865 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:36 PM

Stick a ER27 in the back facing backwards, flip the axles to reverse drive... Would be fun.

They already lack weight in the front for hill climbs - would be hopeless off road like this.... unless you added some ballast up front...

#10 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

Good point. I thought about that after posting what I did... Would do what lifted Yotas (Hilux, as known here in Aus, we call them Rollux's) do I guess..

#11 newsoobdude

newsoobdude

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • helL A/ NorCal Foothills

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

I forget who but someone one here was building a Hatch with a Zuki frame and suspension under it. If I remember right he was going to keep the Subie engine and again if memory serves me right (uh oh), I think it was Bratus1.

#12 SubaruWagon87

SubaruWagon87

>mfw

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Ellensburg, WA

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:07 AM

Yup, it was bratsrus1 (Jerry). IIRC, he told me he's going to run an EJ22 with a 5-speed d/r into a divorced t-case. When it's all done, its gonna be sick! :headbang:

#13 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

http://www.ultimates...highlight=hatch

;)

#14 swampbrat

swampbrat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Page Az

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

serious resurrection ... On the old board there was a guy with an ea81 and dual range mounted in the rails of a sammy - don't know if his project ever got finished but he had at least one blurry pic up.

#15 bill hincher

bill hincher

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Toledo,Ohio

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

It would be a neet project to run the Toyota W series driveline in a Samuri frame with the Sub engine

kindofa oriental hot rod .;o)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users