Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newby

Ditto

I am looking into purchasing a late 90's Subaru wagon. I want to know if the AWD is full time and if so is there a 4lo option? If not what years have 4wd that is not full time? Also can awd be changed over to 4wd? Thanks guys.

Well, the difference is between EJ and EA series cars. the EAs (anything before '90, and loyales and XTs) could come with part-time, true 4WD. any EJ series (legacies, imprezas, foresters, and their assorted trim packages...) where all single range, full-time AWD (here in the US anyway).

a Dual-Range 4WD tranny could be swapped into an EJ series car, but would require an adapter plate (to mate engine to tranny), FWD impreza axles (correct inner spline count for the older tranny stubs), and a custom driveshaft. and probably some custom linkage work, but it has been done, and could be done again.

Now what about that in reverse using an EJ motor in an EA chasis?

Would love a legacy turbo 2.0 with this trans assuming the trans could be beefed up.:banana:

very common. check the retrofitting section. I beleive you've got the 4-speed, which isn't so tough, but the 5-speed.....is :burnout:

btw....legacies didn't come with a turbo 2.0. just imprezas/WRXs, legacies had 2.2 or 2.5

As everyone says, the 2.2L is best for offroading because it has the best low end from the EJ's for price. And turbos aren't any use offroad.

I've heard the 5sp and 4sp gearboxes in the EA's can't take the turbo power either...

My personal option is the MY for offroading (older ones, 80 to 84, and upto 87 for the Brat) They are easier to work on, and just seem more of a offroad machine (I'm gonna get flammed now...)

My personal option is the MY for offroading (older ones, 80 to 84, and upto 87 for the Brat) They are easier to work on, and just seem more of a offroad machine (I'm gonna get flammed now...)

never heard it called the MY...just gen 2s/EA81s....maybe you guys refer to them differently down there. don't forget hatches, they were all EA81s just like the brat