Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Brakes

I am replacing my front brakes and rotors today..they failed yesterday and I had to redneck stop it home ( thank god I know how to drive stick and no one stopped suddenly in front of me)

Is there anything I need to do/look out for/will have problems with?? I am now the owner of the glorious brake tool (what a pain in the rear) Hand I have done just pads before. I dont feel like doing this but I have no choice..car needs to be back on the road by Monday morning.

Thanks in Advance

Connie, are you sure it wasn`t something a little more major? did you have any brakes at all? any brake fluid left in the resivior? i`m thinking your calipers may be shot, or possibly a hole in a brake line. hopefully the job goes easy for you! take care,

Jon

Connie, are you sure it wasn`t something a little more major? did you have any brakes at all? any brake fluid left in the resivior? i`m thinking your calipers may be shot, or possibly a hole in a brake line. hopefully the job goes easy for you! take care,

Jon

Jon..my rotors are paper thin and warped...pads are gone..calipers are at their max..reservoir is full and no leaks...I have been getting hounded for months now to fix the brakes by a friend and just didnt have the money to do it ...or even feel like doing it. If it gets down to a bad master cylinder no biggy..I have another one in the basement...but I have to have the car back on the road by Monday morning..its the only one I have and Tommys and my work schedules to match enough

should be a more or less nuts and bolts job, if the rest of the system is OK.. brakes are alot easier the second time, even if you only did it part way the first. I went ahead and peeked thru my haynes book to refresh my memory.. just make sure you grease the pin the caliper slides on when you reassemble it... and you are going to have to removle the axle nut to take the rotor assembly off.. (thats what my haynes says at least, but see if you might be able to avoid.. it makes the job simpler if you can unbolt the rotor from the hub without removing the hub from the bearing/spindle pin) If you remove the hub, undo the cover, remove the cotter pin, put the wheels back on and lower the car to the ground.. then use a socket to break the axle nut loose, jack the car up and take the wheel off, and remove the axle nut (kinda like breaking lugnuts loose before jacking the car up) other than that, if you have already done a brake pad replacement yourself.. then you can do the rest. its just a little more to take off, and put back on. Good luck!