Ultimate Subaru Message Board

more EJ22 swap stuff. got spark...now fuel

Numbchux

ok, I finally got some time to put into my EJ22 swap project again. but I still can't get it to start. I've got no spark.

I've got power to everywhere where the should be power at the ECU. I've got grounds everywhere there should be grounds. I've got power to the yellow wire on the coil pack. I tested all the sensor connections when I had the harness out this week. checked for continuity between the ECU connector and the sensor connector. so I've got a good connection from the ECU to the Crank and CAm angle sensor. knock sensor, ignitor, injectors, etc.

the only thing I'm not sure about, is that diode. I've got power to the one side, but I'm not sure if it's working right, how can I test it at the ECU connector? I tried hooking my test light up to it and a ground, and got nothing....

any other ideas? how can I test the crank/cam angle sensors? they were good when I pulled the motor, but I might as well test them too....

btw, this is a '92 legacy EJ22

This may be more basic info than you are looking for but if i recall correctly to test a diode:

-Isolate it from the circuit if possible. (disconnect at either end)

-Grab your Multimeter. Most MM have a diode test selecton on the knob. Make sure your leads are in the correct location if your MM has options.

-First test the diode one way and see if any connection.

Then reverse your leads and the reading should be the opposite. i.e.

"Go" one way, "no go" the other.

Hope this helps...

that does help....actually. I never even noticed that there is a switch on my multimeter just for the diode :-p

ok, how about another question....which way is it supposed to go?? is it supposed to allow power to the ECU? or from it? my haynes and chiltons manuals don't agree. Also, the yellow wire feeding power to the non-ECU side of it, that's supposed to be IGN + right?

Yea, I'm not sure how or when it happened, but my diode was removed (for the record, my dad did virtually all the interior stuff when we stripped the donor legacy :-\ ). so I've got to rewire it. I thought I had it right...but now I'm thinking otherwise

Sorry, that's all the info I've got to give:confused: I'm still new to this subaru game.

Somebody on the new gen forum must have the FSM for a legacy that shows diode orientation. It's worth a shot.

Thanks for schoolin' me on those lift differences and hope you source the cause of your missing spark.

yea, I've seen the FSM from a couple different sources, and the diagram appears to be identical to the one in my chiltons manual. so I hooked it up that way.

anyway, I just went out and tested it on my dad's '94....and the green wire has power all the time, and the yellow is IGN +.....which makes no sense, because the green wire is the one that switches the IGN relay..so if there's power there all the time, how is the relay not tripped all the time :confused: :confused: :confused:

GAAAHH, I know it's only been a little while since I origionally posted this, and most of the people who know are at WCSS....but PLEASE HELP ME :( :( :o :o (we need a crying smiley)

ok.....so I'm a spaz.....I had the diode on backwards...so I've got spark now...

but it still won't fire. I've got the fuel pump relay completely rewired, not running off the ECU. would this cause the ECU to think that the pump was not hooked up? and therefore not tell the injectors to fire?

EDIT: nevermind, just wired the relay correctly....still no go.

so I've got:

compression

Spark

Fuel pressure (to the fuel rails)

but no combustion....oh yea....I've also got confusion

I'm going with something is telling the injectors to NOT spit fuel. Cam angle sensor, crank angle sensor? check the wires behind the intake and make sure they are plugged in to the wiring harness.

I'm assuming that the injectors aren't getting a signal. but if my cam/crank angle sensors weren't hooked up, wouldn't I NOT get spark??

EDIT: just plugged the ECU into our '94 legacy, works fine. and I pulled the pressure regulator off, and there is fuel running all the way through the rails. so it has to be the injectors. I'm having trouble beleiving that all 4 signal wires from the ECU to the injectors are getting bad signal, but I'll rig something up to test that today.

is there a sensor (i.e. crank angle etc.) that JUST controls fuel? and wouldn't effect the spark?

EDIT 2: I just checked, and I have good continuity between all 4 injectors, the TPS, and the knock sensor and the ECU...