Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

please help with vacuum line ea81

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WheaT_BeeR_MaN

WheaT_BeeR_MaN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • medford

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

just havin problem with a certain line. ive got to have 1 in the wrong spot cause when i hook it up it misses. so i took some pics of the line and where im hooking it up that makes it miss fire "theyre circled ", then i have overview shots of what maybe some one can identify whats hooked up wrong. need more pics just ask. :-\

http://www.ultimates...r=18363&cat=500

cant figure out how to post big pictures

#2 WheaT_BeeR_MaN

WheaT_BeeR_MaN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • medford

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:32 PM

ok so im lookin under the hood at the diagram and its all hooked up like it should be but still if i hook that hose up it misses bad. it goes to the intake manifold then to the botton tee on the drivers side. could something be plugged? could i just plug up some vacuum line to eliminate the problem totally? hopefuly to fix. anyways some ideas would be good. thanks

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:19 AM

Unfortunately you are pretty much on your own this round. You have a Feedback Hitachi carb. There aren't many people that know anything about those, and although I have some experience with them I couldn't tell you what that is or why it's causeing a miss unless I was standing there to look at it. You'll have to trace the lines down and read up on the feedback system to find out what that is, and how it works. I highly sugest picking up an FSM because..... well the other manuals don't even attempt to cover the system. It's uncommon enough, and complex enough that it's only delt with in the FSM. Even then it's a real nightmare.

To avoid hair-loss and premature aging, I sugest a Weber, or even better SPFI in the near future.

GD

#4 WheaT_BeeR_MaN

WheaT_BeeR_MaN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • medford

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:27 AM

thanks GD for a good honest answer. because im stuck and its not running really any more even though it ran awesome all the way home 400 more miles. now nothing. im gonna just try different things not sure what but something lol :clap:

#5 labatt13

labatt13

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Rockville

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:36 AM

What years did that carb come on?

If someone has a Hitachi as well maybe they would snal a few pics and post to compare where the lines are installed. Also the line that is giving you problems what does it plug into on the other end?

I am not sure the carbon mine but it looks the same. Does anyone have apic of the other carb Subaru ran?

thanks GD for a good honest answer. because im stuck and its not running really any more even though it ran awesome all the way home 400 more miles. now nothing. im gonna just try different things not sure what but something lol :clap:

#6 WheaT_BeeR_MaN

WheaT_BeeR_MaN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • medford

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

its an 83 gl 10, its plugged into the anti after burn valve. thats what it says on my hood.

#7 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:12 PM

I am not sure the carb on mine but it looks the same. Does anyone have apic of the other carb Subaru ran?

There were two *brands* of carbs used on the EA81. Hitachi, and Carter/Weber (no - it's not the cool weber, it's a single barrel with a lot of problems). Each of those had two different setups - one setup for the electronic feedback (for California), and one setup for the non-feedback without the computer. The carbs are jetted differently to accomidate computer control, and if you remove the computer system, they will run extremely rich.

You can tell the difference in the two types by the ECU under the dash, and the duty solenoids on the manifold. In his pictures I can see one of the duty solenoids, so I know what he's got. Just looking at the engine bay will not immediately ID the type as they all use the same kidney bean air cleaner, and the Hitachi's look very similar except for the extra hoses, duty solenoids, two-prong CTS, and the EGO in the y-pipe.

GD

#8 WheaT_BeeR_MaN

WheaT_BeeR_MaN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • medford

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:21 PM

There were two *brands* of carbs used on the EA81. Hitachi, and Carter/Weber (no - it's not the cool weber, it's a single barrel with a lot of problems). Each of those had two different setups - one setup for the electronic feedback (for California), and one setup for the non-feedback without the computer. The carbs are jetted differently to accomidate computer control, and if you remove the computer system, they will run extremely rich.

You can tell the difference in the two types by the ECU under the dash, and the duty solenoids on the manifold. In his pictures I can see one of the duty solenoids, so I know what he's got. Just looking at the engine bay will not immediately ID the type as they all use the same kidney bean air cleaner, and the Hitachi's look very similar except for the extra hoses, duty solenoids, two-prong CTS, and the EGO in the y-pipe.

GD

its a hitachi. that valve i think its talking about is the canister? but not really sure. i dont know really where to start. should i just start pluging things off?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users