Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Easier way to remove EA82T Up Pipe?? **found my boost problem**

So now that the show is over, its time to focus on the RX and figure out why its not making any boost.

So I pulled it into the garage, ran it, and discovered a huge exhaust leak at the up pipe flange, where it bolts to the Turbo.

Im gonna remove it and have it repaired, but just wondering what the easiest way to remove the x-over/up pipe is? Is it 100% necessary to remove the turbo? Can I just unbolt it and maybe slide it out from undernieth? That turbo is a pain in the arse to remove and replace... so If possible, i'd like to do it with the downpipe and turbo in place.

-Brian

So yeah, pulled the bolts from the turbo, then got under the car and undid the header from the heads... was able to jimmy the up pipe and pull it out from under the car... and heard the flange fall to the ground. Removed the pipe and this is what i saw:

broken_pipe.jpg

Guess I'll take it to work with me tomorrow and have it welded back in place. I suppose this could be the cause of my boost problems :-\

Cant wait to get it back on there!

-Brian

Shoot, it would almost be worth the trouble to cut the exhaust manifold mounting flanges off too and just have a custom manifold built. Of course, the only downside is that you would have to have the car there to make sure that everything matches up, but at least you would be guaranteed an increase in power production, not to mention better breathing up top.:burnout: That is my plan when I get back stateside. I also plan on having a 3" turbo-back exhaust made(since it will be crush bent).

Patrick

Shoot, it would almost be worth the trouble to cut the exhaust manifold mounting flanges off too and just have a custom manifold built. Of course, the only downside is that you would have to have the car there to make sure that everything matches up, but at least you would be guaranteed an increase in power production, not to mention better breathing up top.:burnout: That is my plan when I get back stateside. I also plan on having a 3" turbo-back exhaust made(since it will be crush bent).

Patrick

i tried building my own headers but my welder is trash and the welds cracked.

if you are looking for a decent 3" turbo back, look at ebay and find one for a wrx, thats what i got on my rx. youll need to do a little bit to get it fit, but its not that much, i think it just needs another bend and the hangers moved around.

as for the headers. if you do it off of the engine, make sure that you take frequent test fits, i made my first set by using a mock up engine that i forgot to bold the oil pump onto, needless to say, i had to take it to an exhaust shop and have em pinch the pipe where the oil pump hangs down.

i tried building my own headers but my welder is trash and the welds cracked.

if you are looking for a decent 3" turbo back, look at ebay and find one for a wrx, thats what i got on my rx. youll need to do a little bit to get it fit, but its not that much, i think it just needs another bend and the hangers moved around.

as for the headers. if you do it off of the engine, make sure that you take frequent test fits, i made my first set by using a mock up engine that i forgot to bold the oil pump onto, needless to say, i had to take it to an exhaust shop and have em pinch the pipe where the oil pump hangs down.

I would buy a 3" downpipe from a WRX, but I want to get a TD04 bolted in place before I do that. In that way, it will bolt straight onto the exhaust outlet of the turbo. But for now, I think I will just have them build a crush bent 3" one off job for the VF7(which may or may not be too big). In that way, I can still use part of my custom bellmouth downpipe. Well, at least the part closest to the turbos exhaust outlet.

As far as the headers, I plan on having one of the local exhaust shops build my header for me. Actually, I'm going to have them redo my whole exhaust system, complete with high flow cats and flex joints. I just want better flow and better breathing in the higher RPMs. But I'll remember to let them know about the oil pump clearance issue so they don't screw up(which I doubt they will).

Patrick