Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rookie in need of resources

Hello all. I recently purchase Syonyk's 87 GL wagon. I am a datsun head who wanted a reliable daily driver while I restore my '87 300zx (My Z gallery) and Russ's wagon seemed like the perfect vehicle . I've already had the opportunity to change the water pump, and do a few other small maintainence items so I'm already fairly familiar with my car however I have a few maintainence and resource specific questions about my new GL:

1. What (if any) information sites would you recommend? I'm looking for basic engine specs, wiring diagrams, and basic information.

2. What are the most frequent trouble spots on the GLs?

3. Haynes or Chilton?

4. ECU location?

5. how/where do i adjust my clutch cable? I'd like it to disengage/engage near the floor rather than near the top where it is.

Thanks a lot

1. What (if any) information sites would you recommend? I'm looking for basic engine specs, wiring diagrams, and basic information.

You're there. The Haynes/Chiltons I gave you has wiring diagrams in the back, and most questions can be easily answered by people here. The "USRM" link in the upper right has a lot of good stuff, and searching will generally net you an answer. If not, ask, and people are usually really good about getting you info, or asking for more info to be able to help you.

2. What are the most frequent trouble spots on the GLs?

Any of the old gens tend to rust away around a working drivetrain. Beyond that, a bad radiator/thermostat can cause the car to overheat. Overheated EA82s blow head gaskets or crack heads. You might want to change the thermostat in that one - it was sticking a bit for me.

3. Haynes or Chilton?

Haynes.

4. ECU location?

Under the dash, below the steering wheel. Also be aware that if you're screwing around down there with the battery connected and dinking with relay connections, it's possible to blow the ECU fuse. It's not labeled in the fuse box, but it shares a fuse with the horn. If you're screwing around with stuff & the car cranks but won't fire when you're done, try the horn. If the horn doesn't sound, replace the fuse, and it should fire right up.

5. how/where do i adjust my clutch cable? I'd like it to disengage/engage near the floor rather than near the top where it is.

Pull the spare. You'll see the clutch cable running into the clutch actuator lever (passenger's side on the top of the transmission). There are (should be) two nuts on the end of the cable - loosen the lock nut, and adjust as desired.

-=Russ=-

Do not adjust the clutch "tight" like you are intending. You will wear out the clutch release bearing. This is not a race car, and is not intended to release right off the floor. It should release where the cable is properly adjusted. That means the release bearing not riding on the pressure plate fingers. There will be a second cable for the hill holder that keeps the clutch "released" so the bearing doesn't ride on the pressure plate when not in use.

GD

haynes is always better than chiltons, but the haynes book for the subaru 1600 and 1800 is probably the worst haynes manual ever written. I have lived my life swearing by haynes manuals, but i curse this one regularly.. it is quite simply not vehicle specific enough, thats all..

if you pay attention to the forum, eventually you will find someone post a link to a place where you can download a partial factory service manual for a 89 loyale.. thats applicable enough that it will fill a great number of the gaps the haynes leaves, and also provides ALOT of specification data on the model as a whole (literally applicable only to that model year, but most of its across the board the same.) the same website had a book called how to keep your subaru alive (HTKYSA) in pdf, which is also an excellent resource. between the haynes, the htkysa, and this site (both USRM and forum) if you know cars at all you will do A-OK with your soob.

these subaru engineers were alot nicer to us end users than our datsun engineers were, let me tell you that right now. my first ememories are in my dads 72 240Z, and my family has owned at least 2 Zcars my entire life (big family, but i did say at least, current count is 5 running Zs, 4 running roadsters, and 4 roadster parts cars.. plus innumerable pats cars broken down into boxes and shelves :- ) the fuel injection is a piece of cake, it makes the l-jetronic on my 280 look complex (and it REALLY isnt, just rather involved) and its as easy to work on this motor as it is an old skool inline six Zcar.. which is saying ALOT. especially if you are used to working on a 300ZX.. that was always my biggest problem with the later Zcars. I like all that smuggling space under my hood.