Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone ever retrofit a stock wagon luggage rack onto a sedan? (87 GL)

i have an 87 gl-10 with a sunroof... and i like to go kayaking. my only means of transporting the kayak is my fourdoor soob.. so it usually gets a couple of those water noodle things slapped on the roof, and the kayak goes on top upside down.

I have recently thought that i might be able to get just the two outside rails of the wagon luggage rack, and the two crossmembers, and mount them on my car to tie the kayak onto.

I havent seen too many of these luggage racks in my junkyards, so i dont have a good concept of the length thereof.. but is it possible that the rails could be cut down to a shorter length? would the crossmember fit over the sunroof? would that hold the weight of a maybe, 50-100 pound kayak?

or am i better off just sticking with the water noodle system? i dont have any problems per se, but its cumbersome to say the least.

bump. i didnt have a tape measure in the boneyard, so if anyone with a wagon and stock luggage rack could check the measurement id appreciate it.. the distance between the centers of the rails, and the width of the individual rails, would tell me if it would fit..