Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about Swaping 2.5 for 2.2

After two failed HG Jobs in my 2.5L see this post I have deciede to swap for a 2.2L in my 97 OBW

I have searched the procedure and understand what motor I need to get.

Thinking about using one of the companies that imports used JDM engines.

Any thoughts on this?

Any recomendations for a trustworthy company?

Besides the obvious things ( water pump, timing belt, spark plugs ect) what else to you recomend replacing on one of these JDM engines?

Thanks

Ben

Ben,

I did a 2.2 swap and have never looked back.

As you noted, make sure you get the right spec engine, and remember that you will also need an intake manifold- a JDM one may not have the right fittings. I bought a junkyard engine so I got the proper US spec manifold, etc. Also, the 2.5 coil pack will not work...it has different ends for the plug wires than the 2.2 pack (However, I see that you're -international- so perhaps some of the USDM stuff doesn't apply to you.) Best of luck.

Oh, replace the oil separator plate on the back of the block with the new metal type when you're installing the new motor. Also think about seals.

Nathan

After two failed HG Jobs in my 2.5L see this post I have deciede to swap for a 2.2L in my 97 OBW

I have searched the procedure and understand what motor I need to get.

Thinking about using one of the companies that imports used JDM engines.

Any thoughts on this?

Any recomendations for a trustworthy company?

Besides the obvious things ( water pump, timing belt, spark plugs ect) what else to you recomend replacing on one of these JDM engines?

Thanks

Ben

Can any body help me on this.......

Getting ready to order an engine but I am scared that the JDM engine will have issues with the intake manifold?????

If some one could help I would sure apprecaite it becasue I can buy a ADM engine for about the same money but with alot more miles.

Thanks

Ben Bramble

if you get the 95 or 96 ADM 2.2, it's non-interfearrence, and bullet proof. so a few more miles shouln't make a difference. but what ever you choose, there may be small adjustments to make. (96 single port exhaust, 95 dual port). pre 95 intake does not have the erg needed. post 96 the 2.2 is interfearence engine.

i don't know anything about the 97/98 2.2, but it may be the easiet swap. more similar to the 2.5. but if you want bullet proof, the 95 is the engine you want, fewer differences.

who's doing the swap.?

Can any body help me on this.......

Getting ready to order an engine but I am scared that the JDM engine will have issues with the intake manifold?????

If some one could help I would sure apprecaite it becasue I can buy a ADM engine for about the same money but with alot more miles.

Thanks

Ben Bramble

i think you can use the 2.2 manifold and i think it is all just plug and play except some minor ac and ps connections if you are using the entire motor. you dont want to use pre 95 because they have no egr. 95 is ideal because it is dual port and you can use your stock manifold from your 2.5. unless it is a great deal i dont think i would go with a jdm, ej22s are a dime a dozen. and as a matter of fact my 87k motor will be up for grabs soon because i am gonna be using the 2.5 from my 96ob parts car in mine.