Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Thinking about Swaping 2.5 for 2.2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1026

sportsfan1026

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:35 PM

After two failed HG Jobs in my 2.5L see this post I have deciede to swap for a 2.2L in my 97 OBW

I have searched the procedure and understand what motor I need to get.

Thinking about using one of the companies that imports used JDM engines.

Any thoughts on this?
Any recomendations for a trustworthy company?

Besides the obvious things ( water pump, timing belt, spark plugs ect) what else to you recomend replacing on one of these JDM engines?

Thanks

Ben

#2 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:39 PM

The ones I've seen had such low mileage there was not much else you needed to replace.

#3 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 709 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:01 PM

Ben,
I did a 2.2 swap and have never looked back.
As you noted, make sure you get the right spec engine, and remember that you will also need an intake manifold- a JDM one may not have the right fittings. I bought a junkyard engine so I got the proper US spec manifold, etc. Also, the 2.5 coil pack will not work...it has different ends for the plug wires than the 2.2 pack (However, I see that you're -international- so perhaps some of the USDM stuff doesn't apply to you.) Best of luck.
Oh, replace the oil separator plate on the back of the block with the new metal type when you're installing the new motor. Also think about seals.

Nathan

After two failed HG Jobs in my 2.5L see this post I have deciede to swap for a 2.2L in my 97 OBW

I have searched the procedure and understand what motor I need to get.

Thinking about using one of the companies that imports used JDM engines.

Any thoughts on this?
Any recomendations for a trustworthy company?

Besides the obvious things ( water pump, timing belt, spark plugs ect) what else to you recomend replacing on one of these JDM engines?

Thanks

Ben

#4 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:36 AM

that seperator plate may be a good idea and if you went in that far do the rear seal.

#5 sportsfan1026

sportsfan1026

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:52 AM

I did not realize that I may have a intake manifold issue?

Can you please elaborate.

I know that pre 95' the 2.2's did not have an EGR valve. But other than that I was under the impession I was good to go with a JDM engine.

Thanks

Ben

#6 sportsfan1026

sportsfan1026

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:28 PM

Can any body help me on this.......

Getting ready to order an engine but I am scared that the JDM engine will have issues with the intake manifold?????

If some one could help I would sure apprecaite it becasue I can buy a ADM engine for about the same money but with alot more miles.

Thanks

Ben Bramble

#7 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,710 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

if you get the 95 or 96 ADM 2.2, it's non-interfearrence, and bullet proof. so a few more miles shouln't make a difference. but what ever you choose, there may be small adjustments to make. (96 single port exhaust, 95 dual port). pre 95 intake does not have the erg needed. post 96 the 2.2 is interfearence engine.

i don't know anything about the 97/98 2.2, but it may be the easiet swap. more similar to the 2.5. but if you want bullet proof, the 95 is the engine you want, fewer differences.

who's doing the swap.?

Can any body help me on this.......

Getting ready to order an engine but I am scared that the JDM engine will have issues with the intake manifold?????

If some one could help I would sure apprecaite it becasue I can buy a ADM engine for about the same money but with alot more miles.

Thanks

Ben Bramble

#8 xrturbo

xrturbo

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • allentown

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

i think you can use the 2.2 manifold and i think it is all just plug and play except some minor ac and ps connections if you are using the entire motor. you dont want to use pre 95 because they have no egr. 95 is ideal because it is dual port and you can use your stock manifold from your 2.5. unless it is a great deal i dont think i would go with a jdm, ej22s are a dime a dozen. and as a matter of fact my 87k motor will be up for grabs soon because i am gonna be using the 2.5 from my 96ob parts car in mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users