Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.2L swap in impreza

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 superu 06

superu 06

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Curwensville

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:02 PM

Hello everyone,
I currently own a 1995 Impreza L with a 1.8L and automatic 4 speed tranny. The car simply doesn't have enough power and I would like a little more. I know where I can get a 2.2L non turbo out of a 1995 Legacy. I was wondering if the 2.2 would fit in my Impreza and if it would bolt up to my automatic transmission. Any other information would be a great help (wiring mainly and ecu's, etc.).
Thanks in advance,
Justin C.

#2 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:10 AM

yes the ej22 will bolt right into that spot... but really, with the ej22 in there you're only going to be getting about an extra 20 HP... it would be way peppier if you got a 5speed in there too... 2wd or awd...

now you might have to change over the wiring... my buddy used to have the exact same car as you do (still does... just isn't quite the same anymore) and he bolted in an ej25... and used the ej18 wiring and ECU... apparently it ran fine.. although he did ruin in piston... dunno if it's related... probably more related to the fact that it is a rally car and is really being revved all the time on and off the gas...

but it should all bolt in... you might have to change over the intake manifold to make all the stock harness work... although i'm not sure if they are the same... somebody else should be able to clue you in...

good luck!:)

#3 Storm

Storm

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NEOhio

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:50 AM

For the most bang for the buck, an EJ25 would be my vote. They can be had on the cheap nowadays with kids swapping them out for WRX motors. I'll probably be debated here, but a new set of headgaskets will ensure you don't have that problem for a good long time. The EJ18 ECU will run the EJ22 or EJ25 just fine. Simply use the sensors from the EJ18, along with the engine harness attatched to the intake manifold and plug the sucker in. These things are like Legos.... You may have to transplant the coil and/or throttlebody/IAC depending on what you find and from what year it came from.

I've personally taken my 96 Impreza Brighton (EJ18) to a mildly built EJ25 with no problems. 2 yrs later, I have since swapped to an EJ22 purely for the fun of it. For me, it means that my car will fall into a different racing class than an EJ25 powered Impreza and I want to explore the potential of the combo. The EJ25 was a fun little rocket....though the 6k revlimiter came up sadly soon......;)

PM me if you have any detailed questions that I might be able to help with.

Jay Storm

#4 970subaru

970subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

perfect car for a ej22e/P1 ej25 frankenmotor. the ej18 ecu runs a lot more aggressive timing than an ej22e ecu, so power will be around 180 or so with a decent exhaust and some delta cams. plus since that motor uses all ej22e top end, there is no wiring involved.
and go 5mt for sure.
if youre not after power, a $200 ej22 would be a fine and easy direct swap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users