Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 timing belt rub

I was looking in the boneyard and found an EA82 that appeared to be in good shape, except that the timing belt had rubbed drastically into the rear covers. Actually had cut through in one place. What is the most likely cause of this problem?? Thanks, DW

perhaps the rear covers were not re-installed properly...slightly mis-aligned...

I was looking in the boneyard and found an EA82 that appeared to be in good shape, except that the timing belt had rubbed drastically into the rear covers. Actually had cut through in one place. What is the most likely cause of this problem?? Thanks, DW

I don't think that was the cause, the belts were way back on the cam pulleys too ( I should have mentioned that). I think I'm going to take a pass on that particular motor since there is no hurry. But I was curious if this was a known issue or just a fluke. Thx, DW

over the last 20yrs I have never heard or read about any problems as you have described due to any type of subaru engineering...the belts naturally will sit back in very close to the rear plastic backing...if the timing belt tensioners are to lose or have become to worn, this would cause the belt to be shaved down on one side...I recently changed timing belts on my friends car and his belt was so eaten up on the back side and then of coarse broke...the tensioners had come lose from over tightening the pulleys...yes, over tightening..on each pulley was only one bolt holding the small unit while the other two bolts were sitting in stripped holes..no big deal, I had to re-tap and put in a sightly larger bolt..good luck on your search...

I don't think that was the cause, the belts were way back on the cam pulleys too ( I should have mentioned that). I think I'm going to take a pass on that particular motor since there is no hurry. But I was curious if this was a known issue or just a fluke. Thx, DW

over the last 20yrs I have never heard or read about any problems as you have described due to any type of subaru engineering...

OK... That is good enough for me, thanks, Petersubaru. Must be a problem specific to that motor. I'm only dealing with my fourth EA82 and that's just not a very broad sample.

Somehow I seem to get the odd ones...

:confused:

My very first post on the old board was about my '87 GL (now gone to the big boneyard) that came from Maine and had the plastic shields underneath. It was my first Subaru, and I thought they were stock. The reaction to my asking about them was about the same as if I had asked for advice about how to house break a leprechaun. DW

it would help if you could detail which side and where you saw the rubbing. it was the inner covers for sure, behind the belts?

the most likely cause is just a broken timing belt. one that breaks or starts to shread can easily damage belt covers. no big deal and can't cause any major engine damage.

it wouldn't be cause for alarm unless something highly unlikey or obvious was the issue:

the timing belt is nearly set in place in terms of the crank sprockets. they are nearly immovable. i would wonder if perhaps the crank sprockets were removed (to replace crank seal) and installed incorrectly. like the wrong one was installed first. highly doubtful as there's plenty on there to let you know it's not the right order, but i've seen some weird things before. this may cause the belt to ride too close to the passengers side inner cover.

i'm getting the different motors mixed up in my head but i think the EA82 has one cam that has a ridge on the back of the cam (i know the xt6 is like this), so that will prevent the timing belt from hitting the rear belt cover. i believe it's the drivers side.

a front end collision can bend pulleys and cause belts to run out of alignment but that should be obvious.

it would help if you could detail which side and where you saw the rubbing. it was the inner covers for sure, behind the belts?

Passenger side, inner cover, right behind the outermost part of the camshaft pulley. The engine was out sitting on a pallet. The intake manifold, compressor, alt, water pump, and outer covers were all gone. Timing belts were still there... Obviously badly worn on the inner edge from contact, but not ancient or frayed.

I was looking for heads, and when I saw the hole in the cover I was kind of dubious. I thought I would post and see if there was some kind of common mis-installation or something that people here would recognize that I had never heard of. But, I don't need to hurry or take a risk on heads that may have been in a collision so I think I'll hunt around more.

Just knowing that other folks think its weird convinces me. Thanks! DW