Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'94 Loyale overheating on freeway

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 depleted

depleted

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LA, CA

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:52 PM

While at the return end of a camping roadtrip, my Loyale Wagon starts running hot. Not too noticably on surface streets or at idle but quite obviously when on the freeway at 60+mph when it hovers between 3/4 and the red line. This started at around 4PM and by 8PM it was red lining and I had to pull over. Checked oil and coolant levels, they're fine. Decided to have a garage look into it in the morning.

The garage does a coolant check, I told em to go ahead and swap out the thermostat. The electric fan is coming on. And when sitting at idle in the garage, it's not acting up. I pull out on the freeway and it's hot again.

So here's what I've gathered:

- Not noticably hot in idle or up to 40mph.
- Heats up to 3/4 or red line at 50+mph.
- It seems to cool slightly or at least manage itself through air cooling, e.g., going down hill the temp eases a tad.
- Engine strain while going up hill increase the temp to red line but it will cool slightly again on the down hill.
- I can continue this for over an hour or two without actually red lining but remaining above 3/4.
- Electric fan is fine
- Coolant levels and oil is fine
- Don't know condition of the radiator yet

I had to ditch the car at my families house in order to immediately get back home and to work. They're helping out but it's all going to be through an unknown garage.

thanks,
-Michael

#2 Syonyk

Syonyk

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Ames, IA

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

Feel the radiator (where you can) when it's up to temperature.

The entire radiator should be a fairly uniform temperature. If there are significantly cooler spots, you've got a clogged/bad radiator.

The good news is that a brand new radiator for an EA82 is only $90 or so, and about a 20-30 minute install.

-=Russ=-

#3 azsubaru

azsubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Phoenix, AZ

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

What Syonyk said. It's most likely a clogged radiator.

#4 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

+1 on the radiator. You don't have to check the entire surface, just top to bottom (coolant runs through horizontal tubes). Radiator changeout is easy, though more complicated if you have A/C and/or Automatic tranny.

#5 TweedleDee

TweedleDee

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Mcminnville

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:48 PM

I have the same problem, but my radiator doesn't have any obvious cool spots. Any other ideas? I've flushed it twice already.

#6 RONAN

RONAN

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:30 AM

Check the clutch fan, I had one of these fail and gave me the same headaches...

#7 Esteban32696

Esteban32696

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Florida

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:10 AM

Really does sound like the radiator. If you flushed it, yourself, with chemicals from a parts store, sometimes they loosen up some sludge, but then it gets stopped up somewhere else. ONLY way to really clean a radiator, is to remove & take to a shop.

#8 TweedleDee

TweedleDee

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Mcminnville

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:24 PM

I took it out today to really check it out. I drove it on the highway until it started to overheat. I pulled off and found some cool spots in the radiator this time. Actually the entire radiator seemed somewhat cool, but especially in the center.

Really does sound like the radiator. If you flushed it, yourself, with chemicals from a parts store, sometimes they loosen up some sludge, but then it gets stopped up somewhere else. ONLY way to really clean a radiator, is to remove & take to a shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users