Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tired of dealing with my Hitachi

So I am about tired of dealing with my Hitachi carb on my 87 GL wagon and am thinking about doing a swap to a Weber 32/36 DGEV. I found a site that sells the carb, adapter kit, are air filter online.

http://www.webercarburetors.com/ppw/html/aplication_guide/subaru.htm

I was wondering if this would be a good kit for my application? Also I have read about issues with this carb hitting the PS pump, is this something I will have to deal with or not? I am also worried about gas mileage and passing emissions. Any advice on this swap would be much appreciated. I have read all of the previous threads on this so I am fairly informed. Is there a write-up on doing this swap? Thanks a lot for the advice.

Low end power will increase dramitically, mileage can be very good but remember that has more to do with tuning, and a LOT of other factors on the car. That said, I've gotten over 29 MPG on my 4WD's, and when I had 2WD in my wagon, I got 32-33 MPG.

The carb will hit the PS pump. You will have to make a largish dent in the reservior with a ball-peen hammer. I used the stock hitachi spacer under the adaptor plate for more height, and then contoured my "dent" till I got a good fit with clearance for the choke. The other option is to turn the whole carb around backwards, but then you have issues with the throttle cable not being long enough, and replacing the fuel lines, etc. It's easier to just make a spot for the choke. Doesn't hurt the PS pump at all, as you are only denting the fluid tank on top.

Remember to attach the disty vacuum advance prior to bolting the carb down as it's inaccesible once it's behind the PS pump.

Other than that, it's really pretty simple and can be done in a few hours. You'll find that you will be throwing more stuff away than putting things on.

GD