Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need some help on stripping down wiring harness (Ej22)

AKIRA

I have my ej22 wiring harness (93 automatic) and I removed the turnsignals and the headlights, along with the 2 plugs for the automatic transmission.

now I need some help, there are three boxes, and I am not sure if anything important comes out of them (or what they are exactly), here are some pics

1. the first one, it has some wires that went to the auto trans plugs. I am not sure what it does, can anyone identify it and tell me if anything nessecary comes out of it?

DCP01222e93.JPG

DCP012338e4.JPG

2. the next one is labeled "CRuiSE CoNT uNiT" so it is the cruise control, it also has what looks like 2 relays on the side of it, is anything here that I should save? I don't think so, but it is safer to ask

DCP01230559.JPG

DCP012315da.JPG

3. this one starts out from the plastic braket that holds the 2 large plugs that are bolted together, all of the wires from the plug with the lesser amount of wires go to some of 3 things: a box labeled "NIPPON ABS LTD" - which I think may be the control for the antilock brake system, and then some generic looking plus, some of which are wired to the abs box. there is a bracket that holds 2 things, a 12 volt relay and a weird looking thing. pics below

main_plug178.JPG

the plug in my hand is the one which leads to all of the things I mentioned in point 3, the other plug is on the right and the one on the left both run through that plastic bracket in the middle

side_box815.JPG

the plug runs to this side box, which is labeled "NIPPON ABS LTD"

label23b.JPG

here is the label

8_plugsaf0.JPG

these are the 8 plugs, they run to the main plug, the abs box and the 2 things on the bracket

bracketbdf.JPG

here is the bracket, the part on the left is a relay, I am not sure what the thing on the right is.

so I am asking:

what is the box in the pics for number 1? anything important come out of

it?

does anything important hook to the cruise control box in number 2? or the relays next to it?

is the box in number 3 the abs computer? and if so, is anything running to and from it needed?

what about the plugs?

and the relay with the weird thing to the right of it?

if any of these sound like a dumb question then sorry.

thanks for any help you can give.

1. This is the Auto trans computer. You can eliminate it.

DCP01222e93.JPG

DCP012338e4.JPG

2. If you want Cruise control for an Ej22 swap its alot easier to use an Audiovox aftermarket unit. I will install one in my wagon when its all running and operational but until then the only snafu I can see is the speed sensor bracket and magnet...shouldnt be terribly hard to fab up though.

DCP01230559.JPG

DCP012315da.JPG

3. Yes its the ABS computer and you can eliminate it. Basically any wires coming off the car that arent in the dash or forward can be eliminated but to make things easier strip out the Auto trans and ABS stuff and you will probably find that virtually everything in that clump of mess virtually falls out by itself.

ok, well I removed the 3 things that I asked about, and none of them had anything important to it, except the cruise had a wire to the speed sensor on the engine comp.

Now I have another question, there are 3 wires on the kennedy sheet that I can't find

1. a black/white wire that is supposed to go to the "Alt light" on the vanagon I can find no reference to an alternator light

2. a white/green wire that is supposed to go to the "coolant temp guage" same thing, no reference

3. a green/white wire that is supposed to go to the "oil pressure light" again, no reference

any advice on how to find theses wires?

thanks

EDIT: firefox for some reason takes out the the spots where I hit return