Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Go to this site, to see if your Factory Service Manual is available on-line:

http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp

You can either pay individually for specific documents, or do as I did, and pay US$20 for 72 hours free access to any and all publications that you care to download.

One word of warning: the download can be quite time-consuming, even with a fast internet connection. Be sure to rename each PDF file with a meaningful description (the original file names are just a string of numbers), and download into a set of appropriately-named folders. This makes retrieval and reading much easier.

I don't know about this, but I would check autozone, checkers, or your larger local auto places, I would call to see if they have Haynes or Chiltens manuals. It usually takes about four years to get a repair manual out for vehicles, but you can call and see. Anything more technical than that I agree with getting on line posts they can have up to date information.

I don't think there is a Haynes manual for the Gen II Legacys yet.

I just completed the download of the factory service manual for our 99 outback from the techinfo site. I have found the quality and level of detail of the information to be much better than haynes. At first I was renaming the files but I found that to be too time consuming. About half way through I gave up renaming the files, so I will have to go back and open each file and then rename it. I would say that the 256k DSL that I have is the bare minimum for getting the job done in a reasonable amount of time. It probably took me about 4 hours to get the 569 files totalling 156MB.

BTW, I hate Chiltons.