Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting '82 GL-10 wagon from FWD-->4WD?

BoneCake

I have done some searching on this site and have not come up with much on this topic... mostly swapping the 4sp EA81 tranny to a 5sp EA82 and other various transfers.

I know at the very least I need EA81 rear 4wd swingarms/hubs, a rear transaxle and 4wd tranny with a final drive that matches and the diff support (moustache bar) and a driveshaft.... but can some of it come from a Loyale (driveshaft, tranny, etc.)?

Loyale manuals were all 5 speed cars and the differential hangers and driveshafts are different. All of the rear end stuff needs to come from an EA81 car (with the diff matched to the transmission as you said).

This would be a great time to put in a 5 speed though... the Loyales didn't come with dual range transmissions though, and those are generally favored over single range 5-speeds.

You will also need to swap in the pedal rack from an EA81 manual, and you will need to drill/cut the appropriately sized hole for the clutch cable.

Some years of EA81s had a simpler style of clutch cable which is easier to change (and will be easier to install).. I don't know which years are which but my 1983 (brat) has the simple style...

Thanks. Is there an EA81 D/R 5sp? I thought I had heard of it, but I wasn't sure. If so, would it be a direct swap?

Nope. EA81 used the 4 speed

EA82 used the 5 speed, which can be swapped in.

Dunno if Andy covered it above, but remember to get a new gas tank with the diff dent in it.