Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2wd to 4wd swaps on sedans???

i got a grate deal on an 84 2wd gl-10 sedan. 4dr and i have a parts wagon 83 or so and a dr5spd in my other parts car so here is the question.

can i use all the 83 suspensioin and gastank and all and bolt it to the 2wd sedan i know people have done this with wagons and hatches but im unaware of anyone doing it with a sedan?? also i think ill put the dr5 speed in it with the proper flywheel clucht and a custom drive line..

also if anyone needs a 2wd auto trans let me know.out of the 84

You can do it, it will be the same as the wagon. The tranny tunnel on the 2WD manual's is REALLY small, and you will have to cut and beat to get even the 4 speed in. The five speed would be a nightmare from hell to fit into a 2WD manual tranny tunnel. I think the 2WD auto's were bigger - possibly. Even still - you will have to beat on it for a 5 speed. Possibly not for a 4 speed if it's an auto. I never did get mine right - I lifted it instead and solved the problem that way. Check out the pics on my conversion:

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo57

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo55

You have to cut the shifter hole bigger, and mount the 4WD lever. The front struts are different, the sway bar is different, and the whole exhaust from the Y back is different. Here's a parts list I put together (more parts like the pedal assembly would be needed for an auto swap):

4WD gas tank

4WD rear torsion bar and trailing arms.

Rear diff / diff hanger / diff hanger brackets

Rear axles

Rear drum brake assembly, and axle ends

Driveline

Transmission

4WD Rear exhaust heat shield (there's a cutout for the diff hanger bracket)

Complete exhaust (at least from the Y pipe back)

4WD front struts

4WD front sway bar

4WD shifter, and shifter mount (welded in, but the welds can be drilled out)

4WD interior console's and boots (and their mounting brackets on the floorpan)

All the nuts and bolts for all these parts

If you have any detailed questions - PM me.

GD