Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Strut Mounting Kit Necessary?

if when you turn your wheels, the springs don't follow very well, or are choppy, then the strut mounts need replaced. the top of the strut with the 2 or 3 studs, has a bearing on the bottom side of it, that fits between it and the top of the spring housing. the bearing is essentialy 2 large flat washers with a tiny ring of flat roller bearings. I had a loud knocking problem in front when I would take a turn up/into a driveway slow. basically the strut was turning, but the spring was staying put, then "catching up" when it finally spun free. if I would spray some penetrating oil where the bearing were, it would get better for a bit, but then start acting up...

when I finally replaced the strust mounts, all I had were 2 flat washers with mush in between. and the little plastic case around the washers was also ground into nothing. once replaced, along with new struts, it felt like a new car....