Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is tread really important in sand?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:54 AM

I have some Kumho 27" M/T's (215/70R14) and some (very new) road tires 215/60R15. My question is, will I see much better performance in sand (like sand dunes, all dry) out of my M/T's? Or is it surface area that counts more.

The kumhos don't like flexing much so letting them down to 15psi doesn't seem to make much difference (6ply side walls I guess) But my roadies flex lots, even at 25psi. Although because they are on 6" wide rims I wouldn't want to let them down to much just incase the bead slipped off.

#2 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:01 AM

I think it is to a point. You always see people running those paddle tires in the sand, its more about width though. You want as much surface area as possible so you don't get bogged down.

#3 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:14 PM

I always kinda figured that a M/T is going to dig a hole a lot quicker too..

#4 sayn3ver

sayn3ver

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • South Jersey

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:59 AM

you would be correct, atleast, from what i read. ideally, bald all seasons probably work the best, but i have never driven in any kind of serious sand(new jersey has alot of sand, but i've never been on the beach).

#5 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

yea but things with paddels have plenty of power to turn then, :lol: Surface area will be the greatest help,also air down a lot. The m/t's will dig holes faster, just keep momentum up if you dont have any balder tires to swap to.

#6 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

Of cause if I'm climbing dunes I will probably want more tread right? Other wise I'd just lose friction.

I've been on the beach with my m/t's and found even if I rev to 4 grand and drop the clutch (sorry clutch, but I have to test these things) I don't get bogged. It just has too much grab to sink.. All on dry sand of cause, wet is a totally different story.

#7 SuBrat84

SuBrat84

What's REALLY going on???

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:48 PM

It might not be the best thing to do to your starter.. but I have found that if you get stuck in some sand.. instead of trying to burn up your clutch and dig four big holes and get stuck on your frame... shut her off.. put her in first or second.. and if you have your "clutch check" bypassed, hopefully, you can crank it over in gear and get it to lurch out of the sand. :brow:

#8 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

actually, deep tread on subarus' probably isnt as bad as i thought it would. The relative lightness of these cars most likely helps them a lot. I remember reading a shootout in a magazine one time, and it was done with like a ford F250 or something like that. The all terrains were wayy better suited for that truck, but i could image that is one heavy motha haha. Running M/ts might not be to bad of a idea, as long as they are aired down, i'd say just use those..:)

#9 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, I guess it's only about half an hour to change over. I might be heading out to a place this weekend and seems its a 3 hour drive I wasn't to sure about putting the M/T's on, but they won't mind the road much. If I do go, expect some pics! maybe a video :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users