Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intake manifold...

well, I've had mutliple problems with this '92 EA82, and I seem to be taking care of them one by one. The one that still has me stumped is the white smoke issue. When I start the engine, I get white smoke out the tailpipe. I tightened down the intake manifold (which has new OEM gaskets) and the problem disappeared. That was after an afternoon of troubleshooting, when the engine had been running a bit, off and on.

This weekend I fired it up after taking care of an oil leak, and it's pushing white smoke out the back again. Also, it apprears that smoke is rising out from under the hood as well. What I suspect this means is that coolant is leaking out of the manifold and spilling on the engine, where it is burning, hence the white smoke under the hood?

I have no signs of overheating and I am trying to rule out a headgasket issue. Any wise words?

As always, thanks,

belizeanbus

I suggest this:

1. Check the Positive Ventilation Valve (P.C.V.)
  2. Check the tiny (5/8º) hose, that comes from the Water Pump to the Heather, (The 12" Long one, that just make the turn, just over the water pump, and goes to a metallic pipe under the Intake, but not to the intake, just to the Heather) I think this could be the problem.
  3. Check all the Hoses... there are tiny hoses that goes with hot water/coolant, to the intake, check for worn ones / worn / loose bracklets.

Good Luck!

:)

The intake manifold gaskets are usually a sandwich of materials, sometimes the leak can soften the outer layer enough to cause it to tear or deform. I just had to replace a set that had gotten soggy and would not reseat without leaking. Something to consider if your problem persists. DW