Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AT Soobs are definatly gutless!!!

Ohkay, I've got my EA81T with a 4wd Auto. Well, when I bought it about 2 years ago I noticed that the passenger side inboard boot was gone, and that the joint was dry, not a sign of grease to be had in there. Well, I left it like that. I've been driveing it on like that for 2 years now. On the free way last night the joint was shaking so bad I thought the wheel or hub was coming off. It was like this for the nearly 30 mile trip home. I let it sit over night, and the next day, it drives like normal. So today I'm trying to kill the axle, stomping the gas at every light, shifting at like 5-5.5K, nothing will kill this friggin axle!!!! If this was one of my manual cars, the axle woulda blown as soon as it got a tear in the boot (which has happened to me a couple times).

And my tranny doesn't have the normal slushy shifts that are the norm, it has hard positive shifts that you can really feel in the seat of the pants. ARG!!!

It wouldn't be so bad, except that that axle is knocking and clicking so loud it can be heard over the stereo, or 2 blocks away if your outside the car, and I can't replace it because I told the wife that in a 4wd car you don't need to replace an axle untill it's been confirmed dead!:banghead:

*IDEA*

Pull the axle out of the car. Put it on a hard flat surface. Go get a big sledge hammer. Proceed to beat the living hell out of the axle. Put the sledge down. Confirm death of axle. Continue to put a new axle into the car. When done stop and think about how much fun it was to beat the bearings out of the axle. Proceed with your day.

Hope this helps....its what i would do anyway....

later

Yeah, those are two options that I've been considering.

Problem with plan B is that Bek won't drive my car, it scares her. She's used to learned to drive in an EA71 Brat, now she drives the SPFI 3 door, so when she gets into the boost, it scares her.

Plan A is to intentionally sabotage the axle, I've been thinking of packing rocks into the cup, then taping it up and taking it around the block, with my luck though, I'd get home and just have a cup full of finely powdered rocks.

Maybe I'll just yank it out of there and stick a stub in the front untill I get enough cash to buy an axle myself.