Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

86 XT headlight problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 07 November 2003 - 03:27 AM

Well the 86 XT I sold a few months ago has developed headlight problems. The guy says every now and then the headlights will just go dead. They usually don't stay dead, they come back on, but he's afraid they're going to shut off and stay off. Is this a common problem on XTs? Is it the headlight relay? If so, where would I find it? The dash lights and what not stay on though, just the headlight wig out.

#2 electryc_monk

electryc_monk

Air-ride Airehead

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Denton, Tx

Posted 07 November 2003 - 04:09 AM

initially speaking that its in the stering collumn, the left sided arm where the switches are..... I'll wonderingly bet that there might be a loose wire connector? OR a loose wire or corrodided wire in line aroudn the headlight controlls up under the hood?

#3 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,929 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 07 November 2003 - 05:09 AM

Simular problem on my '86 awhile back, and I did loose the headlights completely, after a few black-outs.
Found the problem to be at the fuseable link box. The connector to wiring harness side of it, had corroded off. Looking at it, it looked okay. But when I un-bolted the link box and flipped over, there it was, plain as day.
New terninal end, and I now have headlights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users