Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2002 Forrester that started smelling like something was burning. Checked fluid levels to see if anything could be leaking and had oil changed. I asked the guy about the smell and the guy looks and says he sees some "grease" toward back of engine, but fluids ok. I go home and look under the hood for myself and see a piece of plastic that is attached to a green box (sorry, I am not an engine person) and there is a big hole torn or blown from it and crap all over. Apparently the guy at the oil change place didn't notice the gaping hole.

So what is that green box and how screwed am I? The gasket/tube coming from it (it looks a little like a toilet plunger) has a big hole in it and there is crap spayed all over the back area. Other then the smell, I have not noticed any problems, which to me is a little miracle.

Thanks for any info. I will replace the tube thing tomorrow, but wondering what it is and what damage could have resulted from it.

I have a 2002 Forrester that started smelling like something was burning. Checked fluid levels to see if anything could be leaking and had oil changed. I asked the guy about the smell and the guy looks and says he sees some "grease" toward back of engine, but fluids ok. I go home and look under the hood for myself and see a piece of plastic that is attached to a green box (sorry, I am not an engine person) and there is a big hole torn or blown from it and crap all over. Apparently the guy at the oil change place didn't notice the gaping hole.

So what is that green box and how screwed am I? The gasket/tube coming from it (it looks a little like a toilet plunger) has a big hole in it and there is crap spayed all over the back area. Other then the smell, I have not noticed any problems, which to me is a little miracle.

Thanks for any info. I will replace the tube thing tomorrow, but wondering what it is and what damage could have resulted from it.

Hey Guy,

Sounds to me like an inner CV boot cover; I had to replace mine('99 Forester), it costs about $ 200.00 (for both) installed.

John

Cat Converter throws heat at the passenger side Inner CV boot and makes loose its flexibility. The rubber boot cracks and all the bearing grease slings its way on to the firewall and Cat converter. For $200 you should get both boots replaced Cv repacked Ask them to clean the spew. If it has been pretty recent since the smell started you shouldn't have to replace the axle parts.

I get mine done tomorrow. 03 OBW.

Yes! That is what it looks like. Thanks!! (I'm a gal not a guy and hate to talk to repair men without having a least a little info in place.)

the pic at the top of this page looks like it.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/replacement_sm/subaru~c-dot-v-dot-_boot~replacement.html

Thanks again, Tricia

Sorry Trish:

One more suggestion: If they don't clean all the grease off it will smell for weeks! I bought some heavy duty degreaser( don't get it on the rubber parts of the engine) and took mine to the car wash. Let the engine get warm but not hot, then wash away the area( obviously be careful not to get water where ya don't want it, I Bought little gladd cover bags) and pay particular attention to the back of the engine, top of converter(looks like a fat muffler) and transmission housing.

One last thing, my mechanic recomended to always park with the wheels straight ahead-this puts less strain on the boots. Not so coincidently , mine failed not long after I started parking ( odd place at work) with the wheels strongly pointed toward the right. And was also told as above that the heat from the converter is a factor.

John

Thanks, you guys, for the help and tips. I will start parking with wheels straight- I DO park in our back yard with my wheels turned. Also, just picked it up and the cost was only $133, so all is well. It looks like they did a fairly decent job at cleaning off the gunk, but I could still smell it and will try to get more off if I am able.

Thanks again.