Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need Horn Help, 87 GL SW

Jofus

I think I spotted my horn by accident while trying to find a *&!#@ing bolt I dropped ... I have a 90 Loyale, and it's kinda hidden underneath the skin of the front bumper on the passenger's side.

Assuming, that's the horn I felt ... felt like a horn, anyway. Given it's location, I would imagine it gets hit by a lot of water & debris.

Are you going to the Saturday Horn-Fest? ..,

I think I spotted my horn by accident while trying to find a *&!#@ing bolt I dropped ... I have a 90 Loyale, and it's kinda hidden underneath the skin of the front bumper on the passenger's side.

There are 2, one each side. remove the 4 bolts that hold the bumper, and the wires for the turn signals, and you can get at them.

Wow - is the bumper that easy to remove? I kinda sorta wanted to pa pa pa paint mine.

They are a little hard to see/find. They bolt through the frame to the bumper arms. On the passenger side, pop the charcoal canister out of the way. They are about under it and forward a bit. The 2 on the driver side are below the battery, either side of the lower radiator hose.

I use a 14mm socket on 3/8 drive w/long extension to a U joint to a long extension to the ratchet for the drivers side. I have to work around the transmission cooler lines also.

• 2 years later...

Re: front bumper removal--I need to remove mine ('91 Loyale) in order to remove a fender. Is it necessary to remove the plastic cover from the bumper to remove the bumper? If so, I'm having trouble getting the phillips head screws out that hold the cover on from the underside--the heads just strip out (I'm using the fattest driver I have / any tricks for this problem?). Or perhaps is it possible to remove a headlight and access the front fender bolts that way?

:mad:

Maybe I should just reconcile myself to having a dented fender and not dream about painting the whole thing eventually. I hate to admit it, but as much as I love that old car, this can sometimes get irritating... *sigh*

Edited by mcrae0104

... Is it necessary to remove the plastic cover from the bumper to remove the bumper? ...

Absolutely No.

You just need to Remove the Turn Signal Lights, Then Search for Two Bolts each side, Hidden inside the Engine`s Bay; in front of each Head`s Cover (Look for two Holes each side)

You must Unscrew Both Bolts each side, I Don`t Remember clearly but I Think those are Nº 14.

I Have a Thread about Bumper Reconstruction, Just Click on my Avatar and in my "Public Profile" You`ll Find a List of my Writeups, look for the one named "Bring Back the Smile to a Loyale" ... :) ... it is Plenty of Pics.

Hope this can Help.

i replaced my horns with HELLA hiway horns:slobber: and will never go back

Yes, I Replaced Them in Both my Subies, but that was due to the Ugly Sound the Stock ones gave... Just like All Japanese Cars` Horns: Pathetic!

I Swapped Bosch Horns in Both my Wagons:

http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk/pcHorn1.asp?c=2&d=1

Never go Back! :)