Ultimate Subaru Message Board

adding GL accessories to a loyale

Numbchux

so, I had my door panel off today to try to fix my power window problem (which, btw, I fixed :banana: ), and I noticed that the loyales front doors have different handles than GLs, and I also noticed that the hole for the third screw is there behind the panel. a hole in the panel, and the little plastic insert that the screw goes into, and it could easily be switched.

anyway, it made me think. anyone ever tried to put GL maplights, or the little light in the rear, into a loyale?? I can't think of any other major differences...

The threaded holes are there for the maplight, and there is space to fit the wiring in with the auto seatbelts and there is a spare connector under the dash for it to plug into. All you have to do is cut the hole in the headliner. The plugs for rear speakers are in the doors as well, you just have to cut the hole in the door trim panel.

• 3 years later...
Wow, three years later!

You need the wiring that runs from the map light down the A-pillar and plugs into the dash harness behind the fuse box. When you remove the harness from the GL, make note of where the plug is in the dash harness, use the same on on the loyale.

Yea 3 years later Haha,

Damn, this means I need to go back and pull the wiring aswell. OK, thank you for the direct info :)

I should have just pulled it today, but wasn't sure if it was needed. Oh well, I guess you learn Lol.

Thank you,

-Tom :)

I think the maplight only needs the one wire (power wire, grounded through the mount). wouldn't need to get that off a specific donor car. just string a wire down there and give it some power....or go back to the dome light and grab the 12v constant there.

• 1 year later...

RESURRECTED!! :eek:

So my question is.... How to you take the cover off the dead pedal without breaking it?? I tried to pull a couple of them at the J/Y today with no avail.... Is there a trick?? Am I just not prying hard enough?? Thanks in advance.

Spencer

RESURRECTED!! :eek:

So my question is.... How to you take the cover off the dead pedal without breaking it?? I tried to pull a couple of them at the J/Y today with no avail.... Is there a trick?? Am I just not prying hard enough?? Thanks in advance.

Spencer

the tread part of the dead pedal pops up and flips over to one side. Its held together though with that black sticky stuff and is a PITA to move. after that is flipped over you will have access to the bolts holding it to the car.

I have put on just about everything from a GL to my Loyale including the dead pedal, map light, door handles, rear cargo light, etc... All of the factory holes are on the car just under the plastic or headliner. For the map light and rear cargo light make sure to grab the wire with the plug from the donor car, just unplug it from the donor and plug it in the Loyale. The Loyale harness has the spots to plug in the lights so no need to monkey rig some more wiring. The dead pedal and door handles have the mounting points also just like Numchux mentioned. Just make sure to get the hardware off of the donor car so you can just bolt it right up to your Loyale. I can post pics sometime if people need it.

Edited by cmiller

Lots of the Loyale stuff is just "DL" level trim. There is wiring for power mirrors, so I expect that there is wiring for other common options.

I had my 88 DL and suggested there were plugs for rear speakers behind the b-pillar. Turns out i was wrong, as the DL is a stripped-down, schematically simpler version of a GL harness.

The loyale, however, has a full GL harness, and some accessories were deleted for the Loyale trim level, but the harness would still acommodate any available options in various packages.

A loyale will have circuits for:

power mirror

power window

rear door speakers

map light

• 2 weeks later...