Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oh no. The first frost advisory this season.(sept 10)

bgd73

Anybody relate? I dream of packing the little sube up and heading south like a lone wild goose. :)

Or maybe just putting the coffee on auto for 5 am just so I can start the car and watch the white smoke, and check for exhaust leaks..:rolleyes:

theres got to be some optimism to this... what is it?

ohio is like bermuda to maine :lol:

I was born and raised just 2 states from where I am now... this place is incredibly cold in comparison. I catch it all the time beating out "the icebox" of minnesota for low temps.I have a cousin in Alaska, who says it is warmer there by the pacific, than it is in northern new england.

Just today, I had the A/C on. Now I am searching for 70 on the thermostat. This place proves the old sube to be extraordinary. No bragging, just the facts. 38mpg at a time when gas is higher than ever, in a place sucking down petro like there is no tomorrow...the sube rises above- not to see much eye to eye in comparison to the consumption (if you know what I mean). I don't think I could ask for much more, from an old car so cheap,even if a millionare.

I hear the headers, and bigger vehicles loving this weather. It is cool with oxygen. Even the old sube responds to it. Before ya know it,though, the bigger vehicles will be sucking down 3 gallons on a cold start and won't be having much more power than a little engine to make it even worth to run.

Oxygen lessening and cold by december. I remember my v8's in embarrassment. they pretty much died in it.Live and Learn. Giggle at the hemis in the 14th year of an untouched ea82 of any repair, and still know it is going to run.. :)

I think I just caught a chill... that hurricane by bermuda is suckin on the arctic already.:confused:

Winter in Tennessee is anything but predictable. On new years day it was warm enough to drive around with the windows open in the old hatch. Then the next week we will have sub-freezing temperatures. I really wish Mother Nature would get up off her @ss for once and do something consistent with the currrent season. None of this warm one week and colder than crap the next, makes my sinuses want to commit seppuku.

two great things about living in florida.. no hills to climb to worry about overheating (someone just blew a 2nd HG in 6 months on a hill, i forget who)

and no real winter. the only drawback to that is every "winter" i look like a homeless person because i am too cheap to buy a couple of nice sweaters and a jacket.. i make the one or two old sweatshirts and the ridiculously out of style windbreaker jacket i have be "good enough for another year" EVERY time "winter" comes around... just too cheap to sheel out so much cash for a garment that gets MAYBE three months of occasional use... usually about a month solid of needing a sweater, and then about six to eight weeks on either end of january where a sweater is likely to be needed, but occasionally not. obviously more of the "not" days in march and november than february and december, but thats about it. january is usually solid cold.

of course, even then we get the odd 75 degree day :- )

just another day in paradise. as for the hurricanes, i love them.. have since i was a little boy. I run around outside for brief spells whenever we get a storm.. if its nighttime then its clothing optional, :eek:

just another day in paradise. as for the hurricanes, i love them.. have since i was a little boy. I run around outside for brief spells whenever we get a storm.. if its nighttime then its clothing optional, :eek:

I do too. I really like the real late season ones... its windy and warm. then the everlasting arctic battle making the tropic storm a pansy with yet more winds from the NW, sometimes until there is ice keeping the windows and doors stuck on the old soob/household.It is only #2 named hurricane that is going to fly to the east of Maine this year so far.. If trends of repeating patterns are proven this year will be getting a warm storm late season. A nasty ice storm for us.The craziest time I had was ignoring High Wind Warnings and hanging out in a 1946 camper- it climbed to 50 degrees in January, with low level lightning, high winds, thunder , ice, rain, hail, and finished off with blizzard like squalls with icicles going sideways - and back down below zero in less than 48 hours after nothing dried into frozen solid.tress cracked like glass, and strange noises from the old soob for a week.:lol:

4x4_welder: I hope you have no regrets about moving from Maine. I am as optimistic as it gets to declare this northern New England state called Maine one of the top ten worst places for its given latitude to attempt to live peacefully - in comparison to the entire planet!

Year 14 on an unrebuilt car is a freaky miracle.. :confused: it just happens to be the little ea82 subaru. I hope the newer ones last this long, but with all those little gadgets and more moving parts and litres of displacement proving to be a bit too intrusive with Nature... long live the EA82 soobs.:)

I read on the Farmers Almanac sight that there is a good chance for the coldest winter in around the past 30 years or so...plus lots of snow..for parts of New England and the western part of the country.

Thermometer on my porch read 48 tis morning here in New Milford CT

i just keep shouting, "Bring on the 'Canes and drive out the immigants!!!!"

and im not talking about foreign nationals here, i mean some of the 6 million excess people (mostly from "up north," go figure as the whole country is "up north") we have living off of the minimal amount of water contained within the aquifers that are the capacitor to mediate envirnmental change thru the everglades.... and its a passive hatred, really.. living down here its not like anyone can socialize WHATSOEVER without encountering transplants of 5, 10, 20 years all over the place. My grandparents moved down here during the depression, before there was AC and mosquito and flood control.. so my familys paid our dues to live here. please forgive some righteous indignation on behalf of Mother Nature from yours truly.

I don't regret leaving, that was something I had to do in life. I do regret not going back when I had the chance, and not going up there more often when I was living in CT. I know the economy up there is hit or miss at best, that's what kept me from going back. What I really liked there was the rural life, and the live and let live attitude. I never was into the touristy stuff, but I did go cross country skiing on the carriage trails in Acadia every winter, hit Sugarloaf, Sunday River, and Lost Valley a couple times each year as well.

I was in Augusta for the ice storm in 97, I was two blocks from the capital building and without power for a little over a week. Fun, living in a 150 year old house, with only a fireplace for heat. It did give me more respect for the people who lived there in that time, for sure. I was living in the South China area in 86-87, when the big flood hit the Waterville/Winslow area, I remember going with my parents down Rt. 32 to Winslow, and seeing the water almost up to the parking lot at Peking Hut.

I guess what I have are the memories of growing up in Maine, and I guess that's better than actually being there. As is the case with most things, if I went back there and tried to relive those memories, I'd probably just ruin what I already have. I mean, growing up there was by no means an idyllic experience, I just don't remember the bad as much.

Daeron, you're nuts. That is all.

I bet it does get something unusual this year. just 2 hurricanes isn't enough to satisfy the yearly clash of arctica moving in for mid-september. Just two states away... an old soob could rack up more miles, less rust and leave this place a blank in its cleared memory. I think I have the toughest car in the world. Even if it broke today. :)

Yeah, out here in Montana it can get pretty cold. I'm just east of the continental divide, which typically means it can be 30 degrees one day, and

-30 the next. Almost everybody has block heaters...except my new/old subaru. Have any experience with negative temps and carbeurated engines?

I love the snow, but it sure can be a hassle.