Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starts up then shuts down after 5 sec

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Help!

MY 87 GL Wagon EA-82 Carb has I believe to be a electrical problem. I just put a new alternator on and it has a Accel ignition coil. I have re wired the Alternator oulet. I can't seem to locate the the problem point. My next step tommorow will be to replace all of the connectors to the new Accel ignition coil. I don't think it is the pick-up coil. The tach dose not jump everywhere. The batterry is fairly new. I have also cleaned and rewired the fuseable link box. Is it likely that maybe some bad internal wire at the ignition coil post might be nocking off my voltage.:boohoo: Help Skip or anybody! May we chat a little on yahoo or ICQ.

Stacy

Stace:

It sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me.

Ignition is one piece of it (a big one at that), but you gotta have fuel to keep the engine moving. The fact that it runs for five seconds then dies is a strong indicator that it's fuel related.

A "quick and dirty" is to start at the carb and check fuel pressure. The most precise test is a fuel pressure guage, which is a small investment. You could also shoot the fuel into a conatainer and and make a judgement call as if the pressure is strone enough.

You might get lucky and have a clogged fuel filter. Might not be a bad idea to start here anyway if its been awhile since youve changed it.

A fuel pump could also be up there, but you aren't that far yet.

Check for fuel pressure, then we'll talk...

good luck, John

John:

I have a clear inline fuel filter...and it appears that it is clean and unplugged. I have seen fuel spit out of the carb. Fuel is getting to the carb--unless the primary is not getting fuel, but that dose not make sense. The carb is a pro rebuilt Hitachi. I will look hard at the fuel system, but do not see the problem with the fuel pump. It pumps fairly well into container. So, you are saying even though the fuel pumps it may be not enough pressure therefore I have a bad fuel pump.

Note:

In the past I have a similar problem. I played around with the coil wires then it would stay running.

Based on what you said, I would probably eliminate the fuel system (including the carb).

Not sure exactly what Skip suggested, but bypassing your ignition circuit will help you eliminate some other possibilities. This is a good "quick and dirty" test.

A bad/weak coil (or maybe wiring) can definitely give you the symptoms you describe. This makes more sense - now that the fuel system has been ruled out.

good luck, John

• 2 weeks later...

You guys were right it is a fuel delivery problem. I did replace the fuel pump. This did not work. My conclusion is that is has to be the the last summer pro rebuilt HiCrappy from Discount Carb. There is a restriction somewhere. Just don't know. Maybe it has something to do with running on the fuel in the bowl for 10 sec. Possibly the tiny screen filter, or perhaps the accelerator pump. I will tear it down tommorrow. Any ideas anybody?

after the car has started is the fuel pump continuing to run, if not you need to find out why , check your fuse connection, that was a problem with mine once. doin something like you are talking about. but then again who knows, it could also be something like you not getting a good flow of current to your coil after you let go of the key.

My vote definately goes for fuel delivery problem. Not sure but don't the wagons also have 2 filters? Just because the carb was rebuilt by a "pro" (ha ha ha) doesn't mean it's right. But judging by the symptoms, it definately sounds like it's starving. I'd rule out the electrical portion because it does start and run initially. Have someone sit in the car and start it. When it starts to die, pour a little gas down the carb and if it keeps running that's the best spot to start. Then, check fuel pressure at the carb. If it is good, then it is in the carb and I would take it off and send it back. (Call them first) Let me ask you this, When it starts, does it run like crap for the 5 seconds or is it normal? If it runs like crap, check your vacuum lines real good then check your choke. Let us know what you find so we can narrow this down. Boz

Hey Bozz:

I have not tried gas yet, but it dose wan't to stay running with starting fluid when manually triggering the throttle at the carb. Once started it runs fairly smoothed then idles up, then shuts down. This Gremlin has me stumped.

I pulled #1 plug while firing and has spark until the very last second it dies.

:banghead:

Yeah, I would use gas because that is what goes in there and it is cheaper. Keep it running for a minute by feeding it to make sure there is not an air bubble or anything in the line. Tell whoever you have in the car to keep the throttle in the position so the rpm's are like 2500-3000, it will help "burp it" if that is the problem otherwise it will just help draw some gas through. If it still dies then it most likely is your carb. Something isn't right. Call them up to see if they will cover a local shop repair otherwise send it back and demand one that is correct. Like I said though, Ensure there is no vacuum leaks! Let us know, Boz

BTW, Some people may question my methods but these are what has worked for me in the past, there are 50 million ways to skin a cat.

• 2 weeks later...