Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel leak

It's a fuel pulsation damper, and it's safe to remove/seal the end. Or you can replace the fuel pump - it's part of the fuel pump assembly.

A new pump is around $150, pulling that off & plugging the hole with some sort of solder/braze/whatever you have is a lot cheaper.

-=Russ=-

The part you ar e looking at IS a pulse dampner but it is NOT part of the fuel pump and you CANNOT block it off. It is not part of the fuel pump and you don't need to spend 150.00 and replace the fuel pump just for that part. It won't even be in the box. You can take the dampner out and replace it with a longer hose. Your best fix is to go to the junkyard and get another one and replace it altogether. If you cannot find one just send me a PM and I'll send you one for the shipping. I have a bunch laying around.

Good luck

Mike

I can't tell if it is attached to fuel pump directly.It is a fuel damper. there should be another under the hood by the spfi. If there is one, you can surely find a way to work around it, after taking it out.If it is one on the fuel pump, it will require some ingenuity. There is someone here who posted it on thier website, clever way to save the pump while doing away with unnecessary damper.I recently removed one in the same spot, it was hanging out in the open like yours, and rusted, not attached to the fuel pump.

its a vital part that subaru put two of in the system. you can bypass it, i suppose, but its probably more difficult than finding a junkyard replacement or even maybe trying the parts store?? i dunno about the store, but if you can remove it from your pump, then you should be able to get one from another pump. not a majorly failure prone part, so no reason to think the junkyard one will only last you a short time..