Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Courtney's strut mess thread

courtney

trying to get my ob struts for my 99 legacy to lift it, the tire rack wants to know what model ob i have?? there are diff part numbers for diff ob in 99

i do not know what to tell them, does anybody here know

thanks

the Outback and regular Legacy struts are different lengths.

here's a link to my other Subaru home that has the correct part numbers for the Kybs.. which from what i've heard are the OEM struts.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3674

hope it helps

ok just talked to tire rack and now they are telling me they only show one ob strut, so i hopefully got that straightened out BUT this guy at the tire rack swears that just doing the struts will not lift my sube, that i need a lift kit and he says i can order them but he will not take them back

he says it is the springs that lift it not the struts????????????

so the people that have done this mod please talk to me, i thought everyone said you only need the struts?

thanks for your time

ok just talked to tire rack and now they are telling me they only show one ob strut, so i hopefully got that straightened out BUT this guy at the tire rack swears that just doing the struts will not lift my sube, that i need a lift kit and he says i can order them but he will not take them back

he says it is the springs that lift it not the struts????????????

so the people that have done this mod please talk to me, i thought everyone said you only need the struts?

thanks for your time

if they ordered correctly (that would be my first assumption on a shop, aka they probably ordered a part via vin #, in which case you would just end up with the same as before...)

or..

the guy has no idea what he is talking about and is just not understanding...

but I would think its the wrong part ordered.. have him look at the new strut and the old strut side by side, and check the length of the base of the strut.. there should be about an inch or 2 more length between the camber bolt holes and the bottom of the spring...

on the legacy the springs and the struts both lift..

i can confirm this because we lifted my friend's 1995 Legacy Outback (which is just a stock legacy with some outback trim) to the later model.. 1997+ Outback height with KYB GR2 Legacy Outback struts and 97 Legacy Outback springs.

They will work, they're just CYA'n things. Just go online pretend you own a 99 Outback and place your order, it's not worth the brain damage trying to convince someone that something non-standard will work. If those struts fit my 90 they'll certainly work on yours.

I've had them tell my brother we couldn't fit 17x8 BBS RK's on a 96 Eagle Talon TSi AWD though we had very carefully measured everything and knew through message board research they'd fit.

You've done your homework here, it's all good.

on the legacy the springs and the struts both lift..

i can confirm this because we lifted my friend's 1995 Legacy Outback (which is just a stock legacy with some outback trim) to the later model.. 1997+ Outback height with KYB GR2 Legacy Outback struts and 97 Legacy Outback springs.

Did you do the struts to see how much lift and then go back and put the springs to see how much additional lift? I want solid numbers if what you're saying is true. The lift is supposed to come from the struts.. the springs just affect travel and ride comfort.

Did you do the struts to see how much lift and then go back and put the springs to see how much additional lift?

Yeah, I did. Added them to my 96 OBS struts first, and then added springs later.

I want solid numbers if what you're saying is true.

Want me to cast them in plaster, or maybe Scott can whip you up something in aluminum. :lol: j/k

KYB GR2 struts meant for a 96 Outback added about an inch and a half all the way around. When I added the stock springs from a 96 Outback wagon, I added another inch in the front, and 2 or more additional in the rear. With the 27/8.50s, the rear diff is at 11.5 inches. Compared to the stock height of 6 inches even. I have two.

The lift is supposed to come from the struts.. the springs just affect travel and ride comfort.

Who told you that? :rolleyes:

The springs you are adding are from bigger heavier car. Also. The legacy OB struts have an additional 1 1/2 inches of upward travel. The stock springs from the impreza are so different that I could put theassembly together by hand in the rear. No compressor needed.

It rides nice and firm, but not harsh. Fully loaded it rides like a dream and handles even better. I have a 20 mm sway bar in the rear which helps too. Rips like a proper impreza.

Here's a link to RallyX results proving that. Note that the 323 and the talon are full on rally cars with rally drivers ar the wheel. The other OBS has a WRX swap in it. Ken and I were being somewhat timid because one of the rear tires was getting torn up from the harsh track. ( I had new rims with more offset and hadn't prepared for it)

http://www.historicbrooklyntavern.com/RallyCross7_29.htm

kicks4.jpg

no he did not say where i coudl get the kit, i am curious too, i will ask

ok zapar so you think i should do both the struts and springs, i am just needing to get some clearance for dirt roads and washes , i am not doing rally stuff or anything, i do have to go thru some mud different times of the year

my thought was to do the struts and then the ozified people said they have a lift coming out soon for my car but they said it is designed to be put on with the ob struts, he did not say springs just struts but i am going to clarify that with him

so i was going to try just struts and then add the lift if i need it

can someone explain to me if there is any difference in how the car is lifted using struts vs a lift, will the entire car including frame/trans/rear end get higher with a lift vs just the body being higher with a strut?

thanks for all your help everyone

no he did not say where i coudl get the kit, i am curious too, i will ask

ok zapar so you think i should do both the struts and springs, i am just needing to get some clearance for dirt roads and washes , i am not doing rally stuff or anything, i do have to go thru some mud different times of the year

my thought was to do the struts and then the ozified people said they have a lift coming out soon for my car but they said it is designed to be put on with the ob struts, he did not say springs just struts but i am going to clarify that with him

so i was going to try just struts and then add the lift if i need it

can someone explain to me if there is any difference in how the car is lifted using struts vs a lift, will the entire car including frame/trans/rear end get higher with a lift vs just the body being higher with a strut?

thanks for all your help everyone

if you lift the car via springs and struts.. all your components will definitely sit higher... if you lift the car via a spacer style lift kit.. it will actually space subframe away from the body and those components won't be higher. its similar to the effects of a suspension lift vs. a body lift in a jeep. body lifts on jeeps are generally done by the dealers to accommodate bigger tires.

also going to a taller tire will also provide more ground clearance.

well the thing is.. if you do the ozified lift.. you're probably doing the typical lifting of the body/spacing down the subframe and putting the lifts on top of the strut/spring perches. from a normal legacy wagon.. you will probably sit similar or slightly higher than a normal outback... that's if the ozified lift is not a lift spring kit. several outback owners.. both 1g and 2g have lifted their outbacks via king/scorpion springs and they have massive ground clearance.

i could imagine your car lifted with outback struts with lift springs and a spacer-style lift kit.. your car would be super tall.. i'd worry about the camber adjustment in the front.. unless you get some ecentric(sp?) camber bolts to help bring the camber back in line.

a few guys have lift springs on their outbacks on subaruoutback.org on both generations of legacy outbacks.

here's a thread with the stock-spec outback kyb shocks and scorpion springs.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3687&highlight=lift+springs

here's a pic of my friend's 1995 Legacy Outback (which originally sat the same height as the regular Legacy's) on 1997 LOB springs and kyb shocks with slightly oversized tires.

223118054_d39379baa2_o.jpg

hope it helps you get an idea...

your car with lift springs.. ob shocks and a full lift kit will be taller than both of these cars. ;)

ok almost ready to make a decesion, i read all the links and looked at all the pics

couple more questions

the 97? green sube you sent a pic of with ob springs/kyb struts and slightly oversize tires, that is as low as i want to go, so in otherwords i could live with that but i wouldn't mind being a little taller

if i put the scorpion springs on with the kyb struts with stock 15 tires how much taller than that would i be( approx)?

do you think i am going to lose significant mpg doing that?

this is the situation, i bought a 99 legacy with 106,000 on it, the lady said she just did oem struts not long ago, i will have to go to the dealer to find out the exact mileage on them, i have no idea if she did springs? do you think the dealer would have told her to? if it has the original springs on it will they be worn out at 106,000 or getting close to worn out? if they are going to need doing soon seems i should just go ahead and do the scorpions

also how much harder is it to do the springs in addition to the struts and should i definitely do it together or could i just try the struts and add springs later?

also this car has almost new tires on it, so i am replacing a lot of parts that were just replaced:( , but i have to have more clearance to drive it or i am going to mess it up

so right now i am leaning toward doing kyb struts/scorpion springs and staying with these tires for the next 6 months or until i wear them out

but i would like to hear from some of you that have done just the strut swap and not the lift springs with it, after reading this thread what do you guys think? and maybe comparing it to that green sube how high are you guys

i really appreciate everyones time in helping me figure this out:burnout:

so right now i am leaning toward doing kyb struts/scorpion springs

I like that idea! It's a win win situation, in my opinion.:headbang: I read something the other day that made me more stupid.. thinking that springs wouldn't help lift the car. Do you guys think with the KYB-GR2 OB Struts and Scorpion Springs that the camber will still be okay? Then for even more clearance just put taller tires under it. I know it's more work, but I would like to see how much lift the OB struts add with the stock Legacy springs and then put the Scorpion springs on and measure again to see how much those add. Just for reference..

BTW, thanks for mentioning the Scorpion springs.. I forgot about those..:o

hmmm,, well i guess i have just always been under that impression, more drag from being higher? the fact that the lower 4wds like the subes seem to get better mileage than the 4wd suvs liek exploeres,isuzus, etc on the road,becuase my tall f350 4wd gets 14mpg:) , i don't really know, it was just an assumption on my part

since i drive about 60,000 a year mileage is important to me

do the imprezas tend to get a little better mileage than the legacys? i had a 91 legacy awd and i got a steady 28-29 in it, of course prob over half of my driving is hwy

the good news is that if it won't affect my mileage i really like the way the height of your cars and will have to do that!!!!! but subrat and i are going to do it in stages over a few weeks, so i will drive it and clock mileage, etc before each change, going to leave the stock tires on and put on the kyb ob struts, will measure and drive a week or 2, then will do springs and measure and drive a week or 2 and then will do bigger tires and measure, etc again

so it will be interesting

just ordered one of those scangauge things, maybe i can program a trip for each mod and log the results

i cannot wait to get my sube going!!

so now you have to tell me what all is on your subes