Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hidden Treasure in Fresno - UPDATE

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:11 AM

I am a regular on the Old Gen list, and thought I'd drop by, since I may become a regular here too. I may have found the steal of the century... well, for me anyway. While at the Yard today looking for a 5 speed D/R tranny (found none) I ran into a guy who wants to get rid of a Subaru. It is a 94 Mi (?) wagon, not running, 152 k miles. for $200. He thinks its the clutch (its a 5 spd:) ). I went and looked at it and, except for the eight months of dust accumulated on the body, it looks very good. Interior is very clean and in very good shape. He couldn't find the key, which probably doesn't matter since the battery is D E D dead, so it probably wouldn't start anyway. So before I decide to buy said beast, I would like someones help and run the vin on car fax for any needed info.

Here is the VIN: 4S3 BJ6336 R6957256

Thanks in advance for the help.

PS. Dude is leaving town for a week so I will have time to think this through.

PPS. What mods do people do with these 94's. Engine Swap? Tranny?

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,614 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:48 AM

It's one of the "special" model wagons in 94 that had the raised roofs.

I'd recommend checking out www.bbs.legacycentral.org for more info on the first gen legacies and mods, etc.

#3 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

Out of curiousity, what will CARFAX tell you about the car that would influence your buying decision?

#4 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:23 PM

Out of curiousity, what will CARFAX tell you about the car that would influence your buying decision?

Probably not a damned thing... except maybe if its a salvage or stolen???:eek:

#5 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

GRRRRRR!!!! Just got off phone with dude. Apparently his wife wants $300 for the wagon, $100 more than he wanted before. It's still a steal for the price, just not as much as before. I wish I was better at haggling!

#6 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

What the heck are you complaining about, buy it.

#7 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

"Red" is in my drive-way.

Cost so far :

$300 for car.

$60 for tow to house.

Who knows how much the expired tags and reg is gonna cost. But I'm into it now.

It's driving me nuts. Dude never could find the key so I can't crank it yet to find out just what I'm dealing with.:banghead: This morning I pulled the lock out of the tailgate to take it to a locksmith. Last night I put the battery from Murphy, the $500 87 T-Wag-with-a-blow-headgasket, into "Red". At least I know the dome lights and door locks work :lol:.

#8 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:59 PM

If you can prove ownership, you can take the VIN to a Subaru dealer and they can cut a key for you from the VIN.

#9 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:01 PM

I solved the key problem. I pulled the lock assy from the tailgate and took it over to the local locksmith, and got three keys made for $29.

Progress so far:

Front passenger speaker not working. Of coarse the stereo is the first thing I try.

Car won't start... the starter is either out or just frozen. will take a hammer to it and give it a few good taps to see if it will budge it loose. My other battery might be low on juice so I will try and jump it.

#10 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

This is like a soap opera for sub lovers. I will need an update in the AM.

#11 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

#12 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

UP - UPDATE!!!

Did a little more diagnostic. I decided that before I fire up the engine I would prime the engine since it hadn't run in God knows how long. I tried to turn the engine a few revolutions by hand using the crank pulley bolt and a breaker bar. The engine won't budge at all. Frozen. I'm thinkin' I'ma gonna have to throw in a new engine. I'll check the timing belts to see if one is broke and jammed up in the... oops, wrong year, that would be singular. Belt.

Also, the radiator fans keep cycling on and off in stand by mode. Anyone got any clues?

#13 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,322 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

i don't know about the fans, but i'd remove some / all of the plugs and see waht turns.
do you have an engine?

UP - UPDATE!!!

Did a little more diagnostic. I decided that before I fire up the engine I would prime the engine since it hadn't run in God knows how long. I tried to turn the engine a few revolutions by hand using the crank pulley bolt and a breaker bar. The engine won't budge at all. Frozen. I'm thinkin' I'ma gonna have to throw in a new engine. I'll check the timing belts to see if one is broke and jammed up in the... oops, wrong year, that would be singular. Belt.

Also, the radiator fans keep cycling on and off in stand by mode. Anyone got any clues?

#14 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:39 PM

Wait a second, if your starter is frozen the engine will not hand crank. Pull the starter off and try to hand crank with a socket on the bolt holding down the harmonic balancer.

#15 Soutthpaw

Soutthpaw

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:45 PM

Feeling like a Sucker Yet? did you drain the oil and remove and open the oil filter to see what that all looks like??? not to make you feel bad but I got my 97 OB that went into a ditch for $500. got it to run briefly yesterday, still need to get some parts though...
DJ

#16 Guest_D1Driver_*

Guest_D1Driver_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:19 PM

I tried running the carfax for you, and it said the VIN was incorrect.

#17 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:51 AM

I didn't think of the possibility that the starter could be frozen on the flywheel. I'll check that. Someone on the old gen list pulled a car fax already. I might have trped it in wrong here.

#18 Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • Fresno

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:19 AM

Today I went through the engine looking for external things that might cause it to be frozen. Timing belts are OK and not broken. Starter is out of car. I am pretty sure it is the motor itself. So now I have to search for a new(er) one. There is a place in town called All Engine Distributing that sells all sorts of engines, auto and ag. I will check with them to see what they sell a new motor for.

#19 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:24 AM

Today I went through the engine looking for external things that might cause it to be frozen. Timing belts are OK and not broken. Starter is out of car. I am pretty sure it is the motor itself. So now I have to search for a new(er) one. There is a place in town called All Engine Distributing that sells all sorts of engines, auto and ag. I will check with them to see what they sell a new motor for.

Remove the spark plugs, it could have blown a head gasket and filled a cylinder with water. If so, and it has been sitting awhile, that cylinder is toast, you'll need to get another engine or have that one rebuilt (if possible).

#20 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,786 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:10 AM

or the rings could be rusted inside the cylinders

either way great score! (bad engine or not)

Is it AWD?

#21 SQ93

SQ93

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Midwest

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:35 PM

Any updates? Pics? How is it going with it? -SQ93

#22 burtonsnowman

burtonsnowman

Banned

• Banned
  • 448 posts
  • Elk (Spokane Area)

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

Uuuupdaaaaates!!!!!

#23 Virrdog

Virrdog

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • NE Ohio

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:02 PM

I thought it was posted somewhere on here that you can spray penetrant in the spark plug holes and the try to work the crank back forth once a day and possibly break it loose.

#24 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • West Grove, PA

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:12 PM

Can I get an update please!:slobber:

#25 mellow65

mellow65

Subaru, my drug of choice

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

And next on "As the motor turns"...............................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users