Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A question about a VW syncro I saw today

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:13 AM

I spotted a Syncro at the tire store today and noticed that is was a 4wd, was that on option or was it a conversion? The owner of it was driving off with some new BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/As. IT did look pretty good.

#2 SLIGHTLY

SLIGHTLY

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Lynnwood

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

I spotted a Syncro at the tire store today and noticed that is was a 4wd, was that on option or was it a conversion? The owner of it was driving off with some new BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/As. IT did look pretty good.

you mean 4wd or awd? they came awd with locking hubs from VW.

#3 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:43 AM

you mean 4wd or awd? they came awd with locking hubs from VW.

Well the decals said 4WD

#4 elwood91

elwood91

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • OR

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:20 AM

Posted Image
Some decals even say 4 x 4, they aren't. AWD with viscous coupling to engage front wheels when slippage occurs. Some have optional vacuum operated locking differential in the rear( europe had front as well ) they also have a low crawler gear but it would be nicer to hav a full low range like the 80's Subarus. Mine has 15" bfg on modified passat wheels.

#5 Chris W.

Chris W.

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Boise County

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:00 PM

elwood91

Sweet SYNCRO!!! Have you or are you going to convert it to Suby power?

Cheers,
Chris

#6 elwood91

elwood91

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • OR

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:02 AM

While it is a very common conversion, there are some drawbacks. Ground clearance is the major issue even with a shortened oilpan, the engine sticks down pretty low. I went with a rebuilt that has more displacement, cam to match, forged rods, and coated pistons. It is now 2.4 L and gets out of it's own way on the highway. The power is similar to a 2.2 L subaru and enough for the almost 20 yr old transmission. If I was going to do alot of highway miles with it I would have looked into a sohc 2.5 or svx 6cylinder.
This van sees a lot of back roads, and the occasional run down the Columbia Gorge. After replacing the engine I am now trying to update the FI system, which is one of the main advantages to converting to subaru. Maybe " the next van" .
I wish they made the BFG's to fit 205/55/16

#7 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:15 AM

Hello, could you tell me if your steel wheels had the centers drilled out or just useing the spacers or maybe both...thanks

Posted Image
Some decals even say 4 x 4, they aren't. AWD with viscous coupling to engage front wheels when slippage occurs. Some have optional vacuum operated locking differential in the rear( europe had front as well ) they also have a low crawler gear but it would be nicer to hav a full low range like the 80's Subarus. Mine has 15" bfg on modified passat wheels.

#8 elwood91

elwood91

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • OR

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:14 AM

Hello, could you tell me if your steel wheels had the centers drilled out or just useing the spacers or maybe both...thanks

The centers wre drilled out. Offset is 45, not ideal but still works with these tires. The spare mount had to be enlarged a bit to fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users