Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The bloody DOL is retarded

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Subarutex

Subarutex

Oldschool Show Queen

• 2,531 posts
  • Mountlake Terrace

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:24 PM

Over the last couple of weeks i've been helping my brother get his car ready so that he can go take his drivers test.

We swapped out the broken air suspension for some regualr shocks and springs on his '86 XT-T. We replaced the horns, and we even replaced his old sealed beams with some Hella H4 conversion lenses.

Today was the day, so he went down to the DOL to take his test. Then was told he couldn't because the 3rd brake light was out/not functioning.

Since when is a 3rd brake light required? Was it required on the car when it was made? This is infuriating.

Whats even worse, is the soonest he can get back in is the 27th of this month. Both his brand new job and school start before then, looks like my parents will have to help him get to those :-/

So... what size bulb do I need for the 3rd brake light on an '86 XT?

@#$^& I didn't even know that car had a 3rd brake light!!

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:08 PM

Can't he go to some other shop? That's just wack.

Hhhhmmm - my parts quick reference shows this:

Stop Light, High Mounted - 84701GA030

But it doesn't show a bulb?!? It does for everything else. Weird.

GD

#3 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:09 PM

What did he do to tick them off? I've never seen anyone rejected for a mechanical or electrical problem that wasn't related to emissions. This is too weird; and why should he wait until the 27th; just take it in tomorrow (or is he out of state?).

Over the last couple of weeks i've been helping my brother get his car ready so that he can go take his drivers test.

We swapped out the broken air suspension for some regualr shocks and springs on his '86 XT-T. We replaced the horns, and we even replaced his old sealed beams with some Hella H4 conversion lenses.

Today was the day, so he went down to the DOL to take his test. Then was told he couldn't because the 3rd brake light was out/not functioning.

Since when is a 3rd brake light required? Was it required on the car when it was made? This is infuriating.

Whats even worse, is the soonest he can get back in is the 27th of this month. Both his brand new job and school start before then, looks like my parents will have to help him get to those :-/

So... what size bulb do I need for the 3rd brake light on an '86 XT?

@#$^& I didn't even know that car had a 3rd brake light!!

#4 HATCHY

HATCHY

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Everett. 425

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

Having a Standard model really sucks. I always get the wrong parts, mostly gaskets though. I have an 87 standard, but most all my parts match up too 83 gl wagon

#5 4x4_Welder

4x4_Welder

Just a guy

• Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • Rexburg, ID

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:27 PM

That's the real PITA thing in WA- If a light is on the vehicle, even if it's not from the factory, it has to be functional. I used to run into that a lot with clearance lights on pickups, if one is out you can get a ticket for it.
A third brake light wasn't required on cars until 89, and not on trucks until 92 or 93, but some companies used them before that.

I'd try different DOL stations, there are usually two in each county that test drivers.

#6 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:36 PM

Having a Standard model really sucks. I always get the wrong parts, mostly gaskets though. I have an 87 standard, but most all my parts match up too 83 gl wagon

87 STD was my first car :-P 2WD, 4 spd...Posted Image *sniffle*

#7 xoomer

xoomer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Burien

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:57 PM

They got me for a ding in the window.. that happened on the way there... it was small and in the passenger lower corner

#8 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:10 AM

yeah its retarded how anal they are... my bro used to live there... i wana go into one of those places with a rear foglight on... just so i can record them saying that its not legal... "oh whats that on there??? that right DOT.. i guess it legal!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users