Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 amp maxima alternator in a GL-10!!! WOOHOO it werks!

daeron

okay well, i figured out the pulley by finding an appropriate sized spacer. i had to add a washer to it, so its not really RIGHT right.. and i think the pulley may be 0.5-1mm too far forward... so i need to grind down the washer i had set behind my pulley. Also, i wound up having to put the lockwasher behind the pulley (between it and the alt body) to space it out a little more. I had another lockwasher to add on, but the nut did not thread all the way with the lockwashers on both sides of the pulley.. so i took the lockwasher out from uner the nut, and left the one behind the pulley, between pulley and spacer collar.. that sound kosher to you folks?? or would you go ahead and put the lockwasher back under the nut, too, and leave it maybe 1-1.5 threads unthreaded???

its working great, for the wiring i just made some little jumpers to go from stock T plug to alternator plug...for now. I will take some good photos and do a proper write up when its proved itself for a day or two, and i install it more ideally into my car. but it works, and it fits, and it charges!!!

the alt lines up great, spacing the pulley is tricky. i think i may have mine a little too far forward.. but as i said, its within a mm if thats the case.

it didnt take much time at all, but i only did a jerry-rigged setup.. the maxima alternator harness had the two wire plug on one end, and the other end had a two male spade plug on it.. so i made two small jumper wires to come out of the soob T-plug, and then slip onto the terminal at the other end of the maxima wire.... i did that because i was about to go take it on my "test drive," a full night shift of delivering pizza. :rolleyes: i figured whatever might happen with the alt, at least it was easy to restore to factory setup that way. so, all in all, it took me about 10 minutes longer than it would to swap with a stock unit. about five minutes making the jumper wires and installing the wire harness extension, if you will, and about five minutes very slowly drilling out the stock charging wire's lug to slip over the larger charging stud on the maxima alternator. okay, okay, i had to drill the hole slightly larger on the stock charging wire. I SHOULD have totally replaced it with a new wire.

When the conversion is done right, I'll post it right. until then, i will let anyone know of catastrophic failure.

outboard. sorry that wasnt mentioned sooner.

Im actually going to take it out tomorrow i think, and replace the stock unit. i just looked at the pulley alignment again and i dont like it as much as i did in the daylight.. i guess daylight tomorrow will tell.if/when i do so, i shall endeavor to get a good comparison on the diameters of the two units.. i know that when i actually went to fit it on my Z after getting the proper pulley, it fit.. into a stationary spot held in place (waaaay tight on the adjuster bar) by the radiator hose where it joined the outlet from the engine.. so it IS a bit bigger than our old hitachi units. but i dont know.. i need a camera bad, i cant really put enough words here to describe it all.

I will see what i can do tomorrow for images.

What daeron is mostly talking about is both the soobs and the datsun/nissans use Hitachi alternators that use the same frame dimensions: Mounting ears are in the same places... no mount/bracket changes are needed.

Now, if we can find a direct-replacement pulley to fit on the Hitachi...

What daeron is mostly talking about is both the soobs and the datsun/nissans use Hitachi alternators that use the same frame dimensions: Mounting ears are in the same places... no mount/bracket changes are needed.

Now, if we can find a direct-replacement pulley to fit on the Hitachi...

and theres no limit necessarily to what MAY fit in place of the stock subaru unit... hitachi apparently used this mounting ear size on a number of vehicles as i have found guys in the Zcar forums that used up to 125 amp alternators from later maximas and pathfinders in their Zcars.. so with a little research (go to rock auto, or any parts store website and they list what amperage the lalt is and give you a photo to see if it "looks" right) and junkyard luck, you can go out to the yard, find an appropriate vehicle, yank the alternator, find a soob like yours, and test-fit it. as with ANY alternator swap, this is going to be much simpler with an outboard mounted alternator. i DO know that the casing is a larger diameter on the maxima alternator i have, as i cannot move it through its range of adjustment on my Z.. my radiator piping gets in the way. Im trying to figure out my problem there, but since the alt i have bolts into the soob anyhow even if i need a different maxima alternator for the Z, im happy. BUT the casing on the soob alt and the Z alt are the same diameter, the rear casing may be the only real difference. so beware, it IS physically larger, but it DOES fit. I mentioned in my other thread that i cant slip the belt onto the pulley with the top pivot bolt in.. i have to slip the belt on before inserting the pin bolt to get it to fit. so, it DOES make a belt installation a TINY bit more complex as the alternator bolts have to be fully removed to slip a new belt on. sue me :lol: