Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where can I get a ignition amplifier

I had to get one from a wrecking yard as I couldn't find anywhere to get one new, except the dealership. The dealership had it, but you had to buy a whole coil assembly to the tune of like a couple hundred clams. Way outa my price range. However I got one from the wrecking yard by buying a "coil bracket" for 5 bucks, they didn't even ask about the little electrical connection on it.

If it has two different pigtails coming out of it and it is a large transistor mounted on a aluminum heatsink then it is the ignition amplifier. If it is a small round canister about a third the size of a AA battery with one wire coming out of each end then it is a capacitor (condesor) to take AC noise from the alternator out of the DC system (as well as some ignition noise). So your radio doesn't have a whine in it. If you are getting whine on your radio then get any decent ignition/alternator filter kit, I know radio shack has them and sometimes I have seen them in Autozone. If you are getting no noise then don't bother.