Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlights - tried everything

I have tried the advice in all threads related to headlight fogging on my 96 Legacy Wagon - brake fluid, every polish known to man, buffing, cling film, acrylic spray. They come up perfect but fog nearly opaque again in a day.

My 98 and 99 Legacy Wagons have different lenses which do not fog.

Desperate!

I can confirm that the wet sanding approach, followed by a clear coat, works and lasts fairly long (at least 6-12 months, which is how long I've been driving since I did it on my '96 OBW). The trick is to clear coat. Without a protective layer on the plastic, since it does still have some microabrasion remaining after the sanding, it will fog faster (as mine did the first time I tried the sandpaper technique). Also make sure that you finish with the highest grade of paper that you have the patience to do -- IMHO, 4000 is not too fine! The smoother you can leave that outer surface prior to coating it, the longer your polish efforts will last.

Will these headlights fit a 96 Legacy Wagon please -

JDM Subaru Legacy Wagon BG BG5 Zenki Headlights ?

I really don't think you want them.

1) Japanese headlights have the wrong beam pattern for LHD and driving on the right side of the road.

2) It sounds like e-bay ricer crap from that description.

3) The would probably fit.

Wet sanding and clearcoat worked pretty well for me. They're not perfect, but it's a lot better than it was. Make sure you are very thorough and use very fine grit. There's a good nasioc thread here. Read the whole thing there is some good discussion.

Doubtful. The beam pattern is completely wrong.

US headlights go like this: __/ __/

Japanese headlights are like this: \__ \__

So not only is doing that illegal, it's really not good for oncoming traffic.

Finding some glass lights from a european LHD car would be a much better option (although it still probably wouldn't be legal). Is it possible to put newer (98-99) lights in a 96 or whatever?